Gauge required for metal backing.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vonon

Gauge required for metal backing.

Post by Vonon »

What gauge of stainless steel is required to support a glass panel attached with standoffs. I expect I will be using a cleat for wall attachment. I realize the answer will vary depending on dimensions and aspect ratio. The glass panel in question is 5" X 10" 6 mm. I just need a guideline as I've never used metal backing before.
Thank you!
Vonon
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Gauge required for metal backing.

Post by Brad Walker »

Just use picture frame hanging wire. Your glass won't weigh more than a framed picture, especially a piece that small.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Thanks Brad. Do you know about what thickness the metal backing should be in order to hold the glass panel? Similar to the attached photo.
Attachments
mounted on metal.jpg
Vonon
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking about the gauge of wire to hand a piece on the wall, not the gauge of a piece of metal on the back of the glass.

I don't think the strength/gauge of the metal backing is the main issue. It's really a matter of how you're attaching the metal to the glass and the weight of the glass and total piece. There's another current thread discussing this very issue: http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =2&t=42739 Richard LaLonde's Book One (mentioned in the thread) has a lot of info on one way (not the only way) to do this. See http://richardlalonde.com/books/
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Thank you. The first answer was also helpful. :)
Vonon