small crack in a fused piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Maggie Abdel Rahman

small crack in a fused piece

Post by Maggie Abdel Rahman »

Hello

I made a large fused glass piece but it hit something hard and I found a small crack in it. The UV device I have only binds 2 separate pieces but not cracks. Is there any way to fix that without putting the piece into the kiln for a second time . I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Attachments
Mauve piece resized.jpg
Crack in mauve piece resized.jpg
Judd

Re: small crack in a fused piece

Post by Judd »

Love that piece.

Nope. You fire it or you glue it. That's pretty much your only choices.

I'd refire.

You're using float glass? Love that. I have to hit 1800 or so to make my colors bloom like that.
Judd

Post by Judd »

If you're using float glass, I'd hit 1525 Fahrenheit then immediately go to my anneal schedule.
Temps for my kiln. Your temps may vary.
Maggie Abdel Rahman

Hi Judd

I used 2 sheets of Egyptian float glass 4mm in thickness . It has a nice satin look even when in direct contact with the mold. For the purple I used ferro enamel produced in Spain . I would never get the same beautiful result with ferro produced in the USA. My target temperature was 1508 Fehrenheit approximately.

I simply avoid a second firing because I can never tell what the outcome would be. I might loose the brightness of the glass or the vivid colors.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Consider this a learning moment.. this crack WILL expand and the bowl Will break!.. Reheating, flattening, refusing, then reslumping, carries so many chances for disaster... but what have you got to lose other than time and $.... as for UV glue, it's still damaged goods!
"The Glassman"
Maggie Abdel Rahman

This piece was done by fusing and sagging in one firing. Usually, when I fire for the second time, I add another sheet of glass on top of the original piece and more colors if necessary before firing to 1508 F . The additional sheet helps in preserving the brightness. The piece becomes heavier after the second firing but flaws disappear especially when I add more colors or frits.
Maggie Abdel Rahman

Thank you all for your suggestions , comments and consolation.
Judd

Post by Judd »

If I fire at low temps like 1500, I use copper leaf, other metals, or enamels. I have had great results with Gil Reynold's enamels that he sells at Fusion Headquarters.
http://www.fusionheadquarters.com/category_s/47.htm
The cobalt blue, yellows and greens are awesome. The reds tend to wash out if I hit temps over 1500. I don't use much purple, so I have no experience with that.

I'm just happy to see another artist using float glass. Good luck
Maggie Abdel Rahman

Thank you Judd