Slumping question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

Slumping question

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Hi- I have a concern about slumping a 30" long oval piece of glass into a VERY shallow, but tall (on the 2 ends) mold. The glass is 13" wide in the middle and tappers down to 5" at either end. So, it is essentially supported at the 2 ends which are only 5" each. My concern is that the glass could start to droop on the side downward before the middle, or become somewhat wrapped, ruining the art. Does anyone have experience with this type of slump? I have a long narrow piece of float glass that I can try this with, although it is not the same shape. This pic is alittle deceiving.. it is really long. Thanks for any guidance... Bonnie
Attachments
slump question.jpg
Bonnie Rubinstein
JestersBaubles

Re: Slumping question

Post by JestersBaubles »

Try it. Slump it very conservatively (low and slow, as they say). Watch it when it starts moving and you can always stop the slump and skip to anneal if things go awry. My guess is the glass will bend at about 1100 deg F.

I would think 5" is plenty wide enough to keep it stable, but you definitely want to make sure that things are completely level.

Dana W.
Bonnie Rubinstein

Re: Slumping question

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Thanks, Dana. I did go for it and went up extremely slowly and it did successfully slump. No warping.
Bonnie Rubinstein