major heating element disaster

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

major heating element disaster

Post by peterbr »

Ok. Here's the nightmare. Element pin released the heating element and it fell into the glass. glass cooled and element got stuck in glass. When I lifted the lid unknowing that the element was stuck in glass, the element broke in two. Of course I have to make a full fuse and a fire polish fuse before friday show. Other than replacing the element, is there any way I can still fire the kiln? Can I somehow just twist the wire together? can I fire the kiln with the element apart? Can I throw a tantrum and make it go away?
Help with some good news....

thanks,

Peter
Arnold Howard

Re: major heating element disaster

Post by Arnold Howard »

peterbr wrote:When I lifted the lid unknowing that the element was stuck in glass, the element broke in two. Of course I have to make a full fuse and a fire polish fuse before Friday show. Other than replacing the element, is there any way I can still fire the kiln?
Potters make emergency, temporary element repairs by heating and then twisting the broken ends together. So it may be possible to get a few more firings from your element. I don't know because I haven't seen your element.

The kiln manufacturer might be able to overnight another element to you in time to complete the firings before Friday. That might be the better choice.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / http://www.paragonweb.com
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Years ago I repaired a dryer heating element by bolting the ends together using a small bolt(screw) and nut, erector set size. It held for a long time.

Of course the dryer element doesn't get as hot as the kiln but I believe it is the same sort of material. For an emergency fix it might work.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Gentleman,

Thanks so much for the advice. Took both ends and folded them together so they overlap as one. Turned on the kiln and got familiar noise. Heat started rising and we are in business. Didnt run full cycle since not ready to full fire. Gonna run tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Just need these two runs. Getting elements replaced next week.

thanks again,

Peter