precious metal clay

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Thomas Decker

precious metal clay

Post by Thomas Decker »

I am thinking of adding some embellishments to a piece with pieces of precious metal clay. will the clay fuse to the glass? or will the glass crack because of incompatibility issues?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: precious metal clay

Post by Brad Walker »

There are several different types of PMC. Some will work well with glass,some won't.

Try a test with what you have to see if you're successful.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

If you want basically a glass surface "painted" with silver, I would look at using clay slip. Keep in mind certain glass colors will react with the silver (and the silver can contaminate your shelf).

Otherwise, your best bet is to create a bezel with the embellishments overlaying the glass. Most of the clays generally shrink about 10%. All provide a shrinkage spec in the product info.

Dana W.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

COEs are not compatible, BUT thin application that Dana suggests will work. I screen print slip onto glass all the time .
You cannot add onto dichroic. Also, Cannot cap it. Will react with underlying glass, but often not noticeable
justbijou

Post by justbijou »

Barry, that sounds like a fun idea, any tips or tricks about screenprinting with PMC slip? Or even a link to photos showing what it looks like?
Thanks!
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

The middle row of pieces at
http://kaiserglass.com/page33.html
are all screen printed with silver slip.

Barry