How do I full fuse keeping the original shape...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

How do I full fuse keeping the original shape...

Post by Havi »

Happy Holidays to you all
I had been a long time since I posted here, yet I still believe this is the perfect place to get the right answer to my problem

I have an already fused sheet of glass.
I want to add on it, as a decoration, something like a pattern bar, appx. 1/8" thick. I want to full fuse it to the background. This is a tiny square. I want the square to REMAIN SQUARE, not to change its form

How do I do it?
Is there at all a method in which it can be done???

Many thanks in advance,
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Warren Weiss

Re: How do I full fuse keeping the original shape...

Post by Warren Weiss »

Hi Havi,

Yes. To keep it the same size you will need to build a dam around it. Use kiln furniture around the square. Line the sides with 1/8" fiber paper. Make the fiber paper slightly shorter the thickness of the glass to produce a rounded edge.
Happy new year.

Warren
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Havi,

Are you wanting the square to be flush with the rest of the glass or sitting up on top (tack fuse)? If you want it sitting on top, just fire to a very low tack fuse and it will work. No dam needed. If you want it flush with the rest of the glass, that's very difficult. It would work best if the pattern bar slice would be a thin as you can make it, thinner than 1/8"/cm if you can manage. Then full fuse and pray -- the edges may round a little, but if it's thin enough only a very little. I know you don't like testing, but I would test on another piece of glass before trying it on the one I really care for.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Many thanks,
Warren and Brad.
Yes, you are right I have no patience for experiments..... But I LOVE this piece SO MUCH, that I will not take the risk to ruin it.
For a change. I will experiment.
From a compositional point of view, I do not think that tack fusing will be good.
Miriam Di Fiore gave me a schedule that might help in a case like this,
Anyhow, I will test it on something else, before. The pattern bar is about 1/8".

And if we are talking Brad, What I asked you on the phone worked well!
I would have posted a photo, but it needs minimizing the pic. to nothing, so I can't post.

Thank you all and Happy Holidays,

Havi
Haviva Z

DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

there is also the flip and fire option... if the new square piece is placed against the shelf with the original composition inverted on top it should pretty much retain it's square shape when fused in.. then you will have to re-flip and again refire!
"The Glassman"
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks, Don
An Idea!

might consider...............

Havi
ps
I checked what I did with Miriam Di Fiore, and it REALLY kept its original form, I need to find the exact schedule we used... However, it bopthers me so much, that I dreamt at night that I met her and talked to her....
Haviva Z