fused glass temperature

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

fused glass temperature

Post by peterbr »

Question? Was slumping a 10 inch plate on one of the slumpys molds that has a pattern on it. Hearts to be exact. Contour fused the 6mm blank to 1300 to make sure to keep the edges from distorting. Got a good indentation on the backside but less that I wanted on the front. Do I go more heat to say 1350 or do I soak longer at same temperature of 1300?
What would be the verdict.

thanks
Peter
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: fused glass temperature

Post by Brad Walker »

Well, my honest opinion would be that that's a lousy mold. It's almost impossible to slump and get a deep texture at the same time. Better to fuse on a textured flat surface, then slump at a low temperature so that the design doesn't go away.

But if you do have to try anyway, I'd opt for holding longer over going much higher, unless the edges of the mold are not very steep, in which case you could get away with around 1350 and hold until it's done. You'll have to watch the slump and pray to the kiln gods, too.