Recommendations for bench grinder?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alexis Dinno

Recommendations for bench grinder?

Post by Alexis Dinno »

I am interested in expanding my studio's powered grinding capacity beyond a Glastar-tyoe grinder. Can run-of-the-mill bench grinders be easily configured for wet grinding? Are there particular brands or models especially suited for glass?
DonMcClennen

Re: Recommendations for bench grinder?

Post by DonMcClennen »

Do to the water needed for grinding this is NOT a reasonable approach. I would recommend you consider a wet belt sander to expand your capabilities. With a variety of belt grits you can grind and polish perfect bowl rims (square, round, oval, etc.) plus numerous other applications. A WBS will allow you to take your work to a new "Gallery " quality level! It is an investment you won't regret.
"The Right Tool For The Right Job"
"The Glassman"
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

In addition to the wet belt sander, the other option would be a glass grinding lathe. They can be expensive, but a table top model might work for you, and would certainly be more powerful than a standard stained glass grinder. There are a wide variety of wheels available that would give you lots of finishing options.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

If your work is small(jewelry sized), by far the best equipment is a lapidary grinder. Water with a fountain type system (cheap aquarium pump).
You can buy a Lortone arbor and add your own wheels. If you need more specifics,email me.
Barry
Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

DonMcClennen wrote:Do to the water needed for grinding this is NOT a reasonable approach. I would recommend you consider a wet belt sander to expand your capabilities. With a variety of belt grits you can grind and polish perfect bowl rims (square, round, oval, etc.) plus numerous other applications. A WBS will allow you to take your work to a new "Gallery " quality level! It is an investment you won't regret.
"The Right Tool For The Right Job"
Thanks, Don! I do indeed have a lovely wet belt sander... but sometimes a (more powerful) grinder is what I want: coarse-grained rapid removal.

Brad Walker wrote:In addition to the wet belt sander, the other option would be a glass grinding lathe. They can be expensive, but a table top model might work for you, and would certainly be more powerful than a standard stained glass grinder. There are a wide variety of wheels available that would give you lots of finishing options.
Thank you, Brad! Can you provide a link to a product that you consider typical of this kind of tool?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Alexis wrote:
Brad Walker wrote:In addition to the wet belt sander, the other option would be a glass grinding lathe. They can be expensive, but a table top model might work for you, and would certainly be more powerful than a standard stained glass grinder. There are a wide variety of wheels available that would give you lots of finishing options.
Thank you, Brad! Can you provide a link to a product that you consider typical of this kind of tool?
https://www.hisglassworks.com/shop/mach ... athes.html

If you're mechanically inclined, they also have parts to help you build your own.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Buy some 60 grit belts for your WBS... it will remove a lot of glass fast!!
"The Glassman"
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

If you only need a smaller lap, occasionally, just buy the arbor & nut set https://inlandcraft.com/shop/swaptop/sw ... r-nut-set/ for an Inland Swap top grinder and their drip kit and you will be free to use whatever diamond discs you find to fit it. Ebay is flush with offerings :) You can do this whole setup for $50-60.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.