Trying to find relay for kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kathy K

Trying to find relay for kiln

Post by Kathy K »

I am looking for relays for my Bartlett RTC 1000 controller, series 700. Looking through the manual and online, I am not finding what I need to purchase. Any suggestions? Best place to buy. Not sure what I am looking for. I am in Oregon.
Thanks in advance.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Trying to find relay for kiln

Post by Brad Walker »

The relays are kiln specific, not necessarily controller specific.

The kiln manufacturer should be able to tell you what relay or relays you need for your specific kiln. So the easiest thing to do is to call them and ask.

Alternatively, if you're willing to do a little work and save some dollars, you can go to an electronics supplier and purchase the exact relay you currently have. To do that, just remove the relay from the kiln and then go look for a relay just like the one you have. I use these guys: https://www.alliedelectronics.com/ and just type the specifications on the relay into their search box. Their price will be about 1/3 of the price of the same relay from the kiln manufacturers.
JamesL

Re: Trying to find relay for kiln

Post by JamesL »

If you've never done this before, unplug the kiln before removing the relay to be sure all power is off! Mark the wires so they are re-attached properly. Take a picture, make a drawing... whatever. Just replaced a relay on my Olympic kiln. Called them and had it in a few days. Not outrageously expensive. Good luck.