Which properties makes blowing glass ? Engineering Cold Warm Thermoset Polymer Glass Blowing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Which properties makes blowing glass ? Engineering Cold Warm Thermoset Polymer Glass Blowing

Post by Mustafa Umut Sarac »

Glass blowing is the most interesting art form for me. I was thinking to overcome of hard logistics of glass blowing shop, I thought , it would be interesting to blow cold or warm semi liquid , semi set polymer.

We blow glass because it sets slowly.

Thermoset plastics can be engineered to lose their liquid form in desired way with chemical engineering. They comes in two parts , resin and hardener and higher the hardemner mix , lower the set time.

Now there are immense amount of polymers and there are immense amount of polymer engineering firms. There are polymers more transparent than glass.

Lets talk about facts . How we describe , which properties describe the molten blowing glass. What makes it ? What we will research similar in plastics to
molten glass.

Thank you,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Which properties makes blowing glass ? Engineering Cold Warm Thermoset Polymer Glass Blowing

Post by Brad Walker »

Most of the people who frequent this website are interested in kilnformed glass, not blown glass.

A good forum for glassblowing discussion is located at: http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=4
Mustafa Umut Sarac

Re: Which properties makes blowing glass ? Engineering Cold Warm Thermoset Polymer Glass Blowing

they dont accept gmail and i dont accept their rule.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Mustafa Umut Sarac wrote:they dont accept gmail and i dont accept their rule.
Then I guess you can't get their help either.
Mustafa Umut Sarac

someone will discuss here.If you dont , dont pirate the thread.
Marty

Post by Marty »

We haven't had acrimony on this board for a long time- I'm not sure whether I'd rather see inactivity or conflict.

Mustafa- This board is not the place you're looking for, and I don't think you'd get far on craftweb either. As Brad (the owner of this board) said, we're mostly interested in fusing glass. On Craftweb they don't want to blow plastic and I'd think that most of them are not all that interested in discussing the physics and chemistry of glass unless it pertains to immediate issues, not blue sky speculation.
You might try asking the librarians at the Rakow Library in Corning to see if they can point you in a useful direction.
Please be polite to them, they're the most kind, wonderful people.
Marty
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Excellent advice, Marty.......was trying to think how best to frame advice around a topic I know little about.