Fused Fishing Lures

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kim mckellar

Fused Fishing Lures

Post by kim mckellar »

Hi. I've had a request to make fused fishing lures and wondered if anyone had any experience with it. The hooks are typically are made from high-carbon or stainless steel and I didn't know if they could withstand full fuse without weakening and also wondered if a hook embedded in glass at full fuse could handle with pull of a 5 lb pickerel (walleye for u.s. folks) on the end of the line. They might be just wanting them as decorative lures but they asked that they be functional...

Ideas or advice anyone?
kim mckellar

Re: Fused Fishing Lures

Post by kim mckellar »

*smacks head* Ok, just realized that the lures are tied onto the hooks and not embedded. But, I'll still ask what metal would be best to use to full fuse. Should I make my own posts with eyes out of high temp wire or find stainless to use?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Fused Fishing Lures

Post by Brad Walker »

High temp wire (nichrome) would probably be better than stainless. You're just trying to make fuse a loop into the glass that the hooks would attach to.

(As an aside, I did some online searching on the pull exerted by a fish when it's on the hook. There doesn't seem to be any consensus of opinion as to whether it's more or less than the body weight, though some point out that the answer would depend on the current and other factors, not just the weight of the fish.)