frustration with angle grinder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SandyS

frustration with angle grinder

Post by SandyS »

Hi,
I've been trying to use my angle grinder but I keep getting deep scratches and swirl marks. I use 4 inch diamond discs, starting at 60 grit. I don't have a water feed, so I've tried both submerging the glass in water and just occasionally spraying water on the glass. The pieces are mostly flat, sometimes a slight curve. I'm prepping the surface for drop molds or slumping.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'd hate to go back to hand grinding, it's a very long process.

Thanks
Sandy
Ed Cantarella

Re: frustration with angle grinder

Post by Ed Cantarella »

SandyS wrote:Hi,
I've been trying to use my angle grinder but I keep getting deep scratches and swirl marks. I use 4 inch diamond discs, starting at 60 grit. I don't have a water feed, so I've tried both submerging the glass in water and just occasionally spraying water on the glass. The pieces are mostly flat, sometimes a slight curve. I'm prepping the surface for drop molds or slumping.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'd hate to go back to hand grinding, it's a very long process.

Thanks
Sandy
Sandy - 60 grit is massively aggressive.

I'm curious - what are you "cooking" your glass on that is causing you the consternation that they need to be smoothed so much before the slump or drop?
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.