Skutt km1227 1phase 240v

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Breta

Skutt km1227 1phase 240v

Post by Breta »

We have four elements burned out at once. They seem to sell replacements in odd ways....One bottom, one intermediate one top and so on, Aren't they all the same length?Except for possibly the bottom element they all appear to be the same....It seems I could purchase two three packs of elements much cheaper than buying an entire set?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Skutt km1227 1phase 240v

Post by Brad Walker »

Although it varies by manufacturer, the elements aren't all the same. Lengths can differ, as can other element characteristics. I'd stick to their recommendations.

You can also get elements from people other than the manufacturer. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're not, but they usually need to know more details about the element than the manufacturer requires. If you want to go that route, try Duralite and Euclids.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

It seems bizarre that all 4 elements would burn out at the same time... in fact, I would say the likelihood is near zero. How did you determine that the elements were all burned out?

Thanks

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Breta

Post by Breta »

Tony Smith wrote:It seems bizarre that all 4 elements would burn out at the same time... in fact, I would say the likelihood is near zero. How did you determine that the elements were all burned out?

Thanks

Tony
When I say burned out I mean they are all broken. They were old and this kiln does numerous frequent firings..