proper crimping tool

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Breta

proper crimping tool

Post by Breta »

What is the proper tool to use to crimp element connectors? Once again I connected the new element with really crappy selection of tools...It can't be that hard. Help!
This kiln is an Olympic coffin kiln and it's always hellish...And the Skutt is tough as well. I asked Olympic what they used but the contact there had no answer...
Kevin Midgley

Re: proper crimping tool

Post by Kevin Midgley »

a terminal block or a split bolt as an alternative?
An electrician should know best and what to use.

Be sure to re-tighten the connection a couple of times 1/2 hour or more apart. with the power off of course.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

http://www.theceramicshop.com/product/1 ... tors%2C-2/
paragon-element-connectors.jpg
paragon-element-connectors.jpg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
Your style terminals.
spin_prod_206465601.jpg
But seriously, the Paragon style is nice in that it keeps the connection wire slightly away from the element wire physically, it's easy to connect to and doesn't require you to ever disconnect the connection wire again.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

The single purpose tools are awfully expensive. I just bought some butt splice terminals from these guys, and they sell the fancy tools. I'll use my el cheapo electrical stripper pliers to crimp them
https://crimpsupply.com/tools/crimping-tools