Computer program for strip cut

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Wrangell

Computer program for strip cut

Post by Wrangell »

Wanted to know if anyone is familiar with a program that would work decently for strip glass pattern/design layout. Have been doing them by hand and they can get quite complex.

They're not that difficult to draw but they take quite a bit of time and the main thing is getting dimensions accurate as well as adding color. Been doing it with drafting paper/colored pencil but after deciding to change the colors, that doesn't work all that good. 1/8" wide strips are hard to erase and the color does not come completely out when doing so.

Have used AutoCad in the past for work layout and know that would do it but really don't want to pay a large monthly service for using this.

Any input would be appreciated. Did a google search but that was not helpful for what I am looking for.
Kevin Midgley

Re: Computer program for strip cut

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Plastic sheets
felt pens
rubbing alcohol for colour changes
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Turbocad. It has quite a few different snaps and array copies that makes experimenting with strips fun. It's inexpensive. Like any vector drawing tool, it has a learning curve.
Wrangell

Post by Wrangell »

Thanks for the advice. Will look into the Turbo Cad program. Probably ask around some of the people I work around in construction and see if they have used it or even have it so I could try it.

While the felt markers and plastic sheets sound like a good idea, not sure the precision would be there for what I'm trying to accomplish.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

All the drawing programs that I’ve encountered had offered free trials. Turbocad does too
Richard Blummer

Post by Richard Blummer »

I generally use a spreadsheet program, like MS Excel. I highlight the cells in different colors, and can move them around easily, insert additional cell, rows, or columns.
YMMV
אָשֵׁר חַיִּים