Stuck stringer bowl

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michelle Schouten

Stuck stringer bowl

Post by Michelle Schouten »

A slumped stringer bowl is firmly stuck in its stainless steel sink mould.
I don't think the glass is stuck to the steel. I think it's pinched by the contracted steel. The mould was sprayed with release using an air gun, four applications. The stringer bowl is four perpendicular layers of 1mm clear and dichroic stringer, first tack fused then slumped.
200 538 10. Degrees Celsius
300 620 10
999 487 2:00
99. 471 10
200. 427. 10
300. 30. Off
I've tried heating the outside of the s.s mould with a blow drier. I've tried poking from underneath through the vent holes.
If I reheat it in the kiln what temp do I remove it from the kiln to prevent thermal shock keeping in mind that it's winter here and ten degrees Celsius in my shed .
I've tried to add a photo but the file is too big. Will try to make a smaller file and add it soon.
Hopefully :-k
Michelle Schouten

Re: Stuck stringer bowl

Post by Michelle Schouten »

I've just teadJim Burchet's post about glass stuck to s.s ring mould.
So if I reheat the to around 300 how do I get it out without thermal shock? :-k
Tony Smith

Re: Stuck stringer bowl

Post by Tony Smith »

Put it back in the kiln upside down and use a reasonable ramp (200 deg/hr or so) up to 600 degrees and the glass will separate from the mold. If you have some ceramic fiber you could use that under the rim in 3 or more places to cushion the glass when it falls.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun