replacement lid?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

replacement lid?

Post by peterbr »

I have an 8 yr old skutt hotstart kiln. Like typical skutt kiln owners, I have a crumbling element groove and loose pin elements. 4 to 5 pins fall out on every firing. Kiln dust falls in each project. So much that I am really frustrated. I am in a dilemma. Should I replace the lid or purchase a new kiln? How much cost difference is there between the two options?
How much is a new lid with or without elements. Elements in old kiln are maybe 8 months old. I have a guy who can replace the lid for $150. The floor, thermocoupler, sides etc other than the lid are in mint condition.
Thanks in advance for all your help in this matter,

Peter Brown
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: replacement lid?

Post by Brad Walker »

If you want a kiln like the one you have, just replacing the lid would be cheaper. Don't know how much, but Skutt could help. Or any place that sells their kilns.
Valerie Adams

Re: replacement lid?

Post by Valerie Adams »

I had a few Paragons where the pins would drop from the lid during firings; I'd put them back in but that created kiln dust. So I finally removed all the pins and secured the elements in the grooves with Pyrolite High Temperature Caulk (I bought it from Paragon). I put a dab every 4-5 inches and just pressed the elements in. That would last for about 5 years, and then I'd clean it all out with a screwdriver and do it again.

I have some photos of a major kiln repair I did years ago on my old blog: http://valerieadamsglass.blogspot.com/