Stabilize kiln brick in GL top?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michele-MD

Stabilize kiln brick in GL top?

Post by Michele-MD »

Hi, I have an old Paragon GL 24 and a chunk of brick fell out of the front of the top. I decided that I would cement it back in and then realized the whole top is sagging. In the kiln housing there are already holes through which screws could have been added that would have gone into that section of fire brick, but there are no screws. I thought it might be a good idea to add some but am not sure what kind would be best to use. The kiln brick is pretty old so am not sure how well the screws will hold but, especially since it looks like it was meant to have screws, seems like it is worth a try. Looking for advice on type of screw to use and also whether I should coat the screw with kiln cements or any other ideas that might improve my success. Thanks in advance for your advice! Michele
Ed Cantarella

Re: Stabilize kiln brick in GL top?

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Stainless steel sheet metal screw(Home Depot,etc.). You could probably use plated safely since the exterior temps aren't THAT high, but stainless won't get rusty over time and only a dollar or two more on a project like that. 1/2-3/4" Pre-drill the holes so the screw has minimal crunching in to do. You can put some of that cement in the existing holes for better fit.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Michele-MD

Re: Stabilize kiln brick in GL top?

Post by Michele-MD »

Thanks for your response! I was so anxious to get on with this I went to the HW store yesterday and got those type of screws. I tried to shove some cement in the holes but doubt that I was very successful. At the moment the bricks are no longer sagging and the piece that dropped out is in place. I think I may drill through the housing and put even more screws into the brick. I can only hope that it will last for another few years as I do not want to replace that kiln. Just turned it on so fingers crossed that the repair will hold.