Pottery Kiln Wash?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lbailey

Pottery Kiln Wash?

Post by lbailey »

Was asked if kiln wash for pottery would work to coat/protect the bottom of a new glass kiln. (They plan to use kiln wash for glass on shelves, molds, etc)

Have no idea so asking the experts here.......

Thanks
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Pottery Kiln Wash?

Post by Brad Walker »

Will work, sometimes sticks to glass during fusing more than a kiln wash formulated for glass.

Should work fine for coating molds.
Judd

Post by Judd »

When we made pottery kiln wash in college, it was 50% EPK and 50% Alumna Hydrate. To make it more like glass kiln wash, you would have to add 20% to 30% Alumna Hydrate... right?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Judd wrote:When we made pottery kiln wash in college, it was 50% EPK and 50% Alumna Hydrate. To make it more like glass kiln wash, you would have to add 20% to 30% Alumna Hydrate... right?
I always did the opposite. More alumina hydrate, less EPK kaolin. That's a soft wash, doesn't usually stick, single use.

Some recipes call for EPK and silica, instead of alumina hydrate.

Bullseye's formula is mostly aluminum trihydroxide (also used in antacids), kaolin, silica, and another ingredient they won't tell us.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I use 60% alumina hydrate and 40% calcined kaolin. I think that the calcined kaolin is a little looser than the EPK.