out of the norm and need firing schedule

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kay McConnell

out of the norm and need firing schedule

Post by Kay McConnell »

I used to be a very active glass hobbyist, until my husband's motorcycle accident almost 12 yrs ago. Life changes on a dime! I am just now coming back to glass after an 11.5 yr hiatus due to our life changes. So, much of this seems new to me, after such a long break.

I am in need of a firing schedule for this, and am stumped. This base was a mistake that happened in a class I was taking (taking a few local classes to help me get my feet wet again). I thought it was really cool, though, and decided to use it for something. I can't lift this base layer at all, as the instructor fused it on thin fire (or a different brand: I'm not sure). I placed a single sheet of clear glass on top of it, but am now wondering if I should place TWO clear layers on top of it.

SO, my questions:
(1) should I put two layers on top of this bumpy, uneven base layer, and
(2) what should I do for a firing schedule?

Thank you very much for any suggestions you may have.....
Kay
Attachments
bumpy layer.JPG
Kevin Midgley

Re: out of the norm and need firing schedule

Post by Kevin Midgley »

brilliant instructor fusing it to the paper.
covered, you will probably trap air.
What are you plans for the piece?
I think I'd be tempted to remove the paper.
Soak it in water and scrub carefully with heavily gloved hands.
Some residue will be left.
Then I'd hang it on a wall or window to be kept as a reminder of not what to do.
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

but these clumps of fused frit powder are not connected to anything. If I soak and remove the paper, I'll have a pile of fused clumps. Guess I could arrange them myself on a piece of glass, though. Thank you for opening my eyes.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

That is exactly what I would do. Is to clean them up and then fuse them to a sheet of clear.
Also I would never take another class from this "(instructor)"
The other Jim
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

Thank you for your advice. This is what I'll do.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

If you'd fired it onto Bullseye kiln wash, the wash probably would have washed off clean. As it is an opaque colour of red you'd probably have to re-kilnwash the shelf. Easier than using paper. Never touch the stuff myself although it is easy enough to make your own 'paper'.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Kay McConnell wrote:I am in need of a firing schedule for this, and am stumped. This base was a mistake that happened in a class I was taking (taking a few local classes to help me get my feet wet again). I thought it was really cool, though, and decided to use it for something. I can't lift this base layer at all, as the instructor fused it on thin fire (or a different brand: I'm not sure). I placed a single sheet of clear glass on top of it, but am now wondering if I should place TWO clear layers on top of it.

SO, my questions:
(1) should I put two layers on top of this bumpy, uneven base layer, and
(2) what should I do for a firing schedule?

Thank you very much for any suggestions you may have.....
Kay
If you like the pattern and want to preserve it, place a sheet of glass and top (one or two, your choice) and fire to either a tack fuse (one sheet) or a full fuse (two sheets). Then flip the piece over and clean off the paper. (You may need to sandblast.) When that's done, re-fire with the red on top to shine it up.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

^ I'm with Brad, you can just fire as is. But cleaning and laying them out might be more satisfying from a design aesthetic - or save them to use as design elements in a few different pieces. :-k I've made those "worms" before, never seem to be that satisfying in situ(their original as fired configuration.) :idea: It's a comparatively small amount of glass right now, the cover glass will cost as much or more, so saving and planning around them may be the best gambit for you.
:mrgreen: No point in throwing good glass after bad (not saying it's bad, just sayin :) )
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

It seems the suggestion I like best is from Brad Walker. However, what could I use to clean off the paper if I don't have a sand blaster?

I have no idea why she fired directly on the paper, but I imagine that is part of her (instructor) mistake. She woke up in the middle of the night and realized she forgot to cap it with glass, but I can't imagine it was supposed to be fired directly on the paper, either.

Thanks to everyone! I remember what a great help this board is!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Kevin Midgley wrote: Easier than using paper. Never touch the stuff myself although it is easy enough to make your own 'paper'.
Kevin do you have the 'method' or a link, please. I've never used paper but wouldn't mind trying it for fiddly bits that tend to get lost in alumina hydrate.