Alcohol ink and float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carol Sontheimer

Alcohol ink and float glass

Post by Carol Sontheimer »

Has anyone used alcohol ink on float glass? If so, how did you fire it? I want to use it on tempered glass that I shattered and then put back together to form a bowl. The ink would flow into the cracks and look nice. I haven't found any instructions on how to prepare it for the kiln. I think it would be better to use the ink during the slump phase as the temp would be lower.
JestersBaubles

Re: Alcohol ink and float glass

Post by JestersBaubles »

Alcohol inks burn off in the kiln.

Once your piece is slumped, sandblast or etch it to give it "tooth", and apply the alcohol inks. You'll then need to coat it with some sort of sealer -- clear, non-yellowing Krylon or Rustoleum in a spray can from the paint aisle works just fine.

Dana W.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Cover the surface with an even (or not) layer of powder that is compatible with float. When fired to full fuse it will "flow" into the cracks and give you the effect I think you're seeking.

There is also a BE tip sheet on coating frit with powder in a container using water and then forming the bowl/blank. I've never tried the BE method but have done the former many, many times.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Carol Sontheimer

Post by Carol Sontheimer »

Thank you. I will start experimenting!