mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

peterbr

mold

Post by peterbr »

I am looking for a stainless steel double s mold that is 12 inches long by 3 inches wide. Similar to the mold in the picture only longer and a little wider. Does anyone know where I can obtain one or does anyone on the board have a way to make me one?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Brown
Attachments
small-Stainless-Steel-grade-304-double-Wave-_57.jpg
DonMcClennen

Re: mold

Post by DonMcClennen »

It looks like a simple job for a shop that builds custom Hot Rods. They have forming rollers and maybe even a SS source.
"The Glassman"
peterbr

Post by peterbr »

Don,

Thanks for the idea. I emailed fabricators too and waiting to hear back

Peter
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Consider not using stainless. I have these kinds of things made from regular mild steel, as much as 1/4" thick and just cover the steel with thinfire paper before I use the mold. Works perfect, and any spalling is contained by the thinfire.

I use a local metal fabricator. They're fairly easy to deal with and reasonably priced. Three in my area, I just get prices from them all when I have a job to do.
Tod

Post by Tod »

Look in the "Yellow Pages" for machine shops near you. They can tell you if they can do what you need. Shop Locally when you can!
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book