colourless glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JenniferB

colourless glue

Post by JenniferB »

Can anyone recommend a permanent, colourless glue for glass to glass bonding? I'd rather use a single part, UV sensitive glue than a 2 part, need-to-be-mixed adhesive.
Tom Fuhrman

Re: colourless glue

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Contact Tangent Industries in Winsted, CT,. I have used a lot of their adhesives and they have been very good to work with. They make many different types of adhesives for many different applications.,
sorry, just checked, they are now called Panacol-USA, Torrington, CT. 860-738-7449. info@tangentindinc.com
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

google UV glass to glass adhesive.. lots of it available!
"The Glassman"
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Thanks Tom and Don for these recommendations. I'll look into both of them. One of my requirements is that the glue be fairly viscous because the pieces I'm attaching to each other are curved and a runny glue would... run! While waiting to find a glue, I mixed up a batch of 4 - 5 year old HXTAL. The information on it suggested leaving it to thicken for a while which I did. I had to leave it for over 12 hours but it did become thick enough to work with and it stayed in just the places I wanted it. The one drawback is that it takes 48 hours to cure at room temperature!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Check on the cure time- last I used it I left it for a week undisturbed.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote:Check on the cure time- last I used it I left it for a week undisturbed.
Hxtal takes a week to cure. You can speed it up with heat (say, undisturbed under a hot kiln), but that still takes 3 or 4 days.
Dick

Post by Dick »

Also, hxtal has a possiblity of failing when it is that old. Loctite hysol 30cl is a good two part crystal clear adhesive
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Post by Dick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:58 pm
Also, hxtal has a possiblity of failing when it is that old. Loctite hysol 30cl is a good two part crystal clear adhesive

Dick, I Googled this Loctite and it says it's "clear, colourless to slightly yellowish" and it's fast setting - neither of which will work for this particular project. It apparently has a low viscosity which is not what I need. I spoke with someone at Hisglassworks who assured me that it would still bond well at this age.

Marty wrote:
Check on the cure time- last I used it I left it for a week undisturbed.
Yes, I read that and will leave it. My remarks about a 48 hour cure were incorrect. I think I understood it to mean that the glued parts would hold at 48 hours for the remainder of the longer cure time.
[/i]
Havi

Post by Havi »

Hello,
I use a glue sold by the German company TGK.
I don't know if or who in USA sells it. But it glues absolutely clear, and set very quickly [in the Israeli sun]

I am sure they have some distributors in USA. I assume you can ask them.

Good luck

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com