Drilling

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dmiller1536

Drilling

Post by dmiller1536 »

Does anyone have any tips for marking round opaque pendants for drilling? I drill halfway on one side and then flip and drill the other side to avoid chips. I have made it work to some extent but have also ruined some great pieces when the drill points do not match up.
Barry Kaiser

Re: Drilling

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I have a tutorial on my site (see below) on drilling holes in pendants. They are easy to place and easy to drill.
I have drilled probably over 1000 pendants and do not have a problem with chipping on exit of the drill bit. There may be a very minor chip on the back, but I use pinch bails and they cover up any such minor chip. Also, key word here is minor. Never had anyone notice.
dmiller1536

Post by dmiller1536 »

Thanks Barry. I had actually looked at you list of tutorials before I posted this and didn't see it. Is it included in the bail tutorial? I use your tutorials often! :D
dmiller1536

Post by dmiller1536 »

Thanks Barry. I had actually looked at your list of tutorials before I posted this and didn't see it. Is it included in the bail tutorial? I use your tutorials often! :D
dmiller1536

Post by dmiller1536 »

Found it! I'm going to give this a try however, I wire wrap so the chips are a concern for me.
dmiller1536

Post by dmiller1536 »

Worked beautifully. Thanks again!
Aaron Solt

Post by Aaron Solt »

I tried looking at the bail tutorial but was prompted for a user name and password. I don't want to create more for more sites since memorize too many.

I want to drill a conical shallow hole into soda lime glass, about 1/8th inch wide and 1/8th inch deep. The piece I'd drill into is 1/2" wide, and I'm drilling inti through end of it. I want to sit the cone on another slightly smaller male cone so the piece I drilled into stays put but is easy to remove.

Do I just need a diamond bit, water, and 60 rpm, or is there more I should do to avoid chipping the glass? How much force should I use, and how long should I expect it to take?

Thanks.