How do I present my Art?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

How do I present my Art?

Post by Havi »

Dear friends,
I am not sure my dilemma is relevant here, but I do not know where else to put it. The fact is that I need the answer, would like to hear your opinion.
I am supposed to send an application for a competition in which I want to participate - and of course be among the winners.
I have to send digitally 5 photos of my art work.
My question is - what is the recommended sequence?
Shall I put first the BEST piece?
or
shall I put the best piece LAST?
I would really appreciate your responses. I need to hand my application by the end of this month.
Many thanks in advance.. #-o

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Barry Kaiser

Re: How do I present my Art?

Post by Barry Kaiser »

One of the greats of the art-craft show industry is Bruce Baker.
I have seen his presentations and served on 2 industry panels with him.
He is the king of common sense when it comes to entering your slides to be juried.
below is a link that synopses his thoughts on entering the infamous 5 slides as well as working a show.

http://bermangraphics.com/artshows/bruce-baker.htm

Apparently Bruce is no longer on the speaking circuit, but his CDs on Amazon are worth their weight in gold for an artist.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Dear Barry,
Thank you SO much for the quick response, and the link you sent me.

But I am absolutely perplexed now. Because we, the artists, met one of the jurors for this very special museum exhibition, actually two. The glass curator, and one of the additional jurors.

We were told , to send ONE image per series, and to say that this is a part representing a bigger series. So I can't see myself sending a BODY of work, like this critic recommends. Almost every piece I will send has additional 'siblings' so to speak.
Some are just glass, some are glass and - paper [my hand made], prints, different kinds of papers, again made by me.... If I send one group - I miss all the others.

So I remain with the dilemma mentioned above , what would be the optimal sequence of sending photos of various styles of art.
Best first, or Best last, or best in the middle [someone recommended this too]
Anyway I am very grateful to you, and I shall keep this link for further opportunities.

Havi
Haviva Z

Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Havi,
First question: Are there many artists trying to get into the museum? If so read on. If not, ignore the rest.

I have been a juror for a large show. Jurors had a total of 20 seconds to look at the 5 (actually 6- one of the artist display) pictures presented. They were presented in a 3 across over 3 across pattern with the display in the middle of the bottom 3 We did not analyze the art. What was most important was that the selection had pop. The displayed art had to grab the eye or scream at us. If an artist tried to show the breadth of their talents, there was no cohesiveness to the display and the artist was usually put in the reject pile.
As crass as this may sound, remember that your objective is to get into the show,not to show what a great artist you are.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Barry,
Thanks again for your guidance.
This is very relevant to me and I am very grateful.
I think I heard that there will be about 3000 [three thousand] candidates. If so, then your advise is extremely important.
May I PLEASE have your private e-mail and send you the 5 images I want to send? And have your comments?

Basically I think - am afraid - that the Israeli jurors will not be as practical as you Americans, especially when this is the first time this kind of exhibition is taking place. Somehow I think that the Craft Museum in Tel Aviv is trying to compete with Tel Aviv Museum.

The exhibition is a biennale for arts and design, will include several crafts, glass, ceramics, paper, design, jewelry design. I count in a way on the fact that I combine glass + hand made paper, +print - on the same piece. This gives me hope I shall be accepted. 5 jurors, only one is knowledgeable about glass.

I would appreciate your help. However, I am afraid to show publically my application.

Thanks in advance.

Havi
Haviva Z