I got the decals - in contiuation of block printinhg...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

I got the decals - in contiuation of block printinhg...

Post by Havi »

Thank you Dana and Don,
Because of you I have now 2 decals , and some spare ones which I can use in future.
Now - How do I deal with them???
Not that stupid, watched several guiding video's on youtube, so I have an idea.
But still worried, perhaps there some tips that I can not see, but will be helpful for me???

Just FYI - there are only 2 places in Israel, where they make decals for glass.. One was too slow in service time, so I chose the other .

\Anyway,
Thanks for the info. and if you have some tips - I'd appreciate them. it is almost midnight here, tomorrow I hope to 'play' with the decals.
Is it compatible with BE glass? Float glass? Any restrictions?

good night,
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: I got the decals - in contiuation of block printinhg...

Post by Brad Walker »

Decals should be compatible with any glass. Different manufacturers have different firing schedules so you'll need to get some help from the place that sold them to you.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks , Brad
This one should be good for 760 degrees centigrade....
I am scared of moving the wet decal from its backing to the glass - the decal being quite big.... 12" by 16"
Any tip here???

Thanks in advance

Havi
Haviva Z

JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Hello Havi!

Put a little water on the surface of the glass -- that way, you can more easily reposition the decal if you need to.

Just slide the decal downward on one edge of the paper, put that edge of the decal on the glass, and slowly pull the paper way as you smooth down the decal. Once it is positioned, use a flexible squeegy (or spatula) to carefully smooth the decal further and remove the water. I usually then gently blot the decal dry with a paper towel.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you are doing!

Dana
Havi

Post by Havi »

Dear Dana,
We have an idiom in Hebrew - "will not be valued by Gold" - i.e. very very precious. Yes your advice is inestimable precious.
The truth is, that I was so scared of transferring the decal to the glass that I took a cab to the person who made it, and had HIM transfer it! Lo and behold - first thing he did was wetting the glass....
It is fired now. Amazingly beautiful - black on red.
I do not know whether it is right of me to post this before I hand my application for the exhibition...
I promise to post it after Friday - the deadline for the application.
I OWE you that.
I still have another piece to fire - also one with decal - and by this I shall be done. Start getting back to normal.

Ironically I am lucky to live on my own - my whole house is a big chaos full of staff for the application. Glass, prints [normal] prints with glass. Wow it will take me ages to return everything to its place - - -
But I feel good.
and YOU and DON Burt helped me a lot!!! I am so grateful - with your advices my series was upgraded to a much higher level!

God bless you , God bless this forum
love you,
Havi
Haviva Z

JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Glad it was successful!

Looking forward to meeting you in June :)

Dana W.