shipping large glass on containers on ship

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carol Ann

shipping large glass on containers on ship

Post by Carol Ann »

I have 10 pieces of fused glass approximately 20x30” each to transport by container on ship. I am told they
do not handle them with care. I plan to put them in a wooden crate and pack them with foam
and bubble wrap. Do you have any experience or recommendations that would be helpful. I
certainly would appreciate that.
Carol Ann Faucett
Carol Ann
Barry Kaiser

Re: shipping large glass on containers on ship

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Lots of experience receiving containers.
Your problem is that your package (crate) is too small for them to care about. It isn't even a pallet.
Shipping by water is a volume more than a weight issue. One crate doesn't hack it. If you can find someone who is shipping a larger amount to your destination, you might be able to be more comfortable.
BTW: you can and probably should contact an international shipper and discuss your problem with them. They may be able to help you.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

crates can be customs checked. Beware of the kind of screws being used to seal the crates. If they don't have the right screw driver handy to open the crate, they use crowbars. :shock: Needless to say the crate will not close properly after such treatment. Been there done that.
Carol Ann

Post by Carol Ann »

Thanks Barry, I am putting it on a consolidated container. My issue is more in packing the box properly so it doesn’t break. any suggestions in that order.
thanks,
Carol Ann
Carol Ann
Carol Ann

Post by Carol Ann »

thanks Kevn,
I will be sure to use the proper screws.
Carol Ann
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

If your crate is wooden, make sure you have the proper wood as many countries regulate what woods they will allow into their country for fear of the wood containing latent larvae from in sects. If you can get someone with experience making international shipping crates to make the crates for you.