Best 120v Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Drew Jaeger

Best 120v Kiln

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Hey All,

Back after a long break. I have taken almost 10 years off of fusing when I moved into a house that had no room for my kilns. I've been doing a lot of glassblowing at a public studio in the mean time. I love blowing but there is no way I can afford or have the time to maintain a hotshop at home. My wife and I just purchased a home and I will finally have some workshop space in the basement to start fusing again. The one problem is the 100 amp panel is maxed out and I have no way to add a 220 circuit for my bigger Paragon. Until I can free up some space (we have electric for our dryer and range and I'd like to convert them to gas someday) I am limited to a 120v kiln. I'd prefer square and with enough depth to do some smaller castings as well as fusing. I've looked at all the manufacturers who sponsor this board and a couple others but would like some feedback from this group as to which would be the best option.

Thanks for any and all advice!

-drew-
Joyce Walters

Re: Best 120v Kiln

Post by Joyce Walters »

I really really like my Evenheat kiln, which is 14.5" square, but may not be deep enough for your work @ just 7".
Just a suggestion.
Good luck.
Joyce
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

You will soon feel very restricted/limited with a small 110 volt kiln! I would suggest you use an electric switching device to allow you to use the 220 dryer circuit for the new kiln (you just can't use dryer when your firing) then buy the biggest 220 kiln you can afford.
"The Glassman"
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

As long as you realize the limitations of the 120v kiln , you are good to go.
Note however that many 120 kilns need a dedicated (or isolated) 20 amp circuit. Many homes use 15 amp circuits.
I have 3 120 kilns, all Olympic. (One, my 8x8x6, does not need a 20amp circuit). Like them all, but the reason I have them is I am close to Olympic. Shipping is a significant consideration.
I feel that most 120s are very similar. Paragon has some fiber lined kilns that are more expensive but heat faster and more efficiently that brick only kilns.

Again as long as you are happy with the size limitations of the 120 kilns, they are great to use and if you pay attention to the specs, you will be fine.

Barry
jagboy69

Post by jagboy69 »

For small benchtop work, I'm running an old Neycraft. It heats VERY fast. At full tilt, Plugged into 110vt, it only hits 12amps.
I built the pid setup. Can't do this stuff without it.
20190318_002256.jpg
20190408_235354.jpg
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

As Don suggested, you can alter your wiring to access 220 when your dryer isn't in use. I did it for years in Canada without any inconvenience.