metal panels

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vonon

metal panels

Post by Vonon »

Is there an online resource for metal panels used for mounting glass for wall hanging? I see Hang Your Glass has some "coming soon". If I knew a local metalworker he/she would already be my best friend.
Vonon
Lynn Perry

Re: metal panels

Post by Lynn Perry »

We have a local commercial hvac company which has all metal fabrication equipment as well as sheets of various metals. They have sheared sheets of theirs for me in the past. I believe you are near Knoxville, so there should be several similar companies there.
Lynn Perry
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Alaska copper and brass has several outlets. I would give them a search.
They handle all kinds of sheet, rod and pipe metals.
The other Jim
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I purchased a large sheet of aluminum (4'x8', i think) from a local metal company, and they cut it up for me in various sizes. I have enough to last me for quite some time, but those 30-some odd sheets I got were significantly less expensive (as in 10x) than buying what is being sold retail.

Dana W.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Dana, Did their cutting method leave smooth edges? That is a concern I had about going to metal shop.
Vonon
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

They are very smooth (no burrs), but not rounded. I sand down the edges with a little sand paper, just like you would to take the edge off sharp glass.

Dana W.