Using oxides as colorants

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

FusedLightStudio

Using oxides as colorants

Post by FusedLightStudio »

In the studio I inherited from Charlie Holden, I found three bags of powder from the ceramic store: nickel oxide, chromium oxide, and copper carbonate. (The nickel oxide is black, the chromium is a gorgeous dark green, and the copper is a light green.) I know these can be used in ceramic glazing, and I assume they can be used in kilnformed glass, but would like some confirmation and advice.

Can I mix with medium and paint with them? Can I sift them onto the glass like frit powder? What temperature does it need to set?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Lisa Schnellinger
Atlanta, GA
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Using oxides as colorants

Post by Brad Walker »

FusedLightStudio wrote:Can I mix with medium and paint with them? Can I sift them onto the glass like frit powder? What temperature does it need to set?
Either method will work. Full fuse or close to that. Colors may change with different thicknesses.

If sandwiched between glass, there will be some bubbling, which can be attractive (kind of like bubble powder if done correctly).
FusedLightStudio

Post by FusedLightStudio »

Thank you so much, Brad.

Having recently poked around on some of the Facebook groups for warm glass, I appreciate this forum even more than before (and that was already a lot).
Lisa Schnellinger
Atlanta, GA
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

how could make the painting medium?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Michael Stevens wrote:how could make the painting medium?
You can use anything that will mix with the oxides and that burns off cleanly in the kiln. Many glues will work or if you can get some ethyl methyl cellulose or carboxy methyl cellulose (CMC) you can make your own glue that will work well.
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

I used Aloe gel for glass pigments worked ok.