Adhesive Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Adhesive Question

Post by jim burchett »

I am trying to find a reliable adhesive to secure an approx6×6 double thickness of glass to a small piece of flattened bronze rod approx 1/4"x1/2" securely. I have tried E6000 , gorilla glue epoxy, and Hxtal. A 5 day set up for the Hxtal is a bit cumbersome, and properly mixing very small quantities is an adventure. They all work, sort of. Any suggestions appreciated. These are used to support the glass at an angle above a platform. Thank.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Bert Weiss

Re: Adhesive Question

Post by Bert Weiss »

Try Hang Your Glass. Used properly it should provide a bond stronger than the glass.

Or trying heating the Hyxtal a bit to make it set up quicker.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dick

Post by Dick »

Better off with Loctite Hysol E-30cl. Uses a gun with mixing tube, so no guessing or mess. Made specifically to work with glass and metal. I have hung 21" round pieces 3/4" thick with just a dime size spot of glue on my hanger. 24 hour cure. All others mentioned I have tried and eventually had problems with. This is crystal clear non yellowing. You can get it online, ebay etc.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

No, Dick that resin has a 7 day full cure.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Kevin Midgley wrote:No, Dick that resin has a 7 day full cure.
You sure? Grainger says 24 hours: https://www.grainger.com/product/LOCTITE-E-30CL-2VRH9
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

If it takes a week for full chemical resistance then it is still curing to maximum strength. The week came from looking it up online on the company website.
For sure, heat curing speeds up strength gain in most epoxies.
It looks to be similar in strength to glue I use so I'll stick with what I know.
I do know that those squeeze the plunger and squirt out two bands of glue types are for me notoriously difficult to get evenly controlled amounts dispensed.
I've gone so far as to cut them separate.
Of interest, it has been suggested by one company to store the partially used glue dispenser 'nozzle up' to aid in evenivity.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Dick is correct.
Full strength cure is 24 hrs at room temp. Max chemical resistance takes a full week.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks guys. Got the info straight from a rep who demoed at our glass assoc. I use it all the time