Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product? - WarmGlass.com

Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Alexis Dinno

Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Postby Alexis Dinno » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:46 pm

I notice that Armstrong Glass' COE 82 'FloatFire' catalog is identical to Optul's... not just the color selection, but the actual codes for the color selection (e.g., FF3100 is lead-free opaque white, FF3120 is lead-bearing opaque white for both catalogs, etc.).

Which company, if either, possibly both, possible neither, is the manufacturer of these float-compatible art glass products?

Bonus question: I am in Portland, OR. What are the nearest suppliers of this COE 82 powder (regardless of brand)? I used to purchase from C & R Loo in Richmond, but they're gone now.

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Postby Brad Walker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm pretty sure they're the same, made by OPTUL Spezialglas GmbH in Germany. As I recall, Armstrong imports their FloatFire from Germany. http://optul.de/en-arc-82.php

The only place I know that carries it in the US is Armstrong, but you could contact OPTUL via their website and ask if they have another US distributor/retailer.

Alexis Dinno

Re: Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Postby Alexis Dinno » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 pm

Brad Walker wrote:I'm pretty sure they're the same, made by OPTUL Spezialglas GmbH in Germany. As I recall, Armstrong imports their FloatFire from Germany. http://optul.de/en-arc-82.php

The only place I know that carries it in the US is Armstrong, but you could contact OPTUL via their website and ask if they have another US distributor/retailer.

Thank you, Brad!

Edit: I spoke with someone at Armstrong today, and you seem to have the truth of it.

Return to “Techniques and Tools”