Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alexis Dinno

Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Post by Alexis Dinno »

I notice that Armstrong Glass' COE 82 'FloatFire' catalog is identical to Optul's... not just the color selection, but the actual codes for the color selection (e.g., FF3100 is lead-free opaque white, FF3120 is lead-bearing opaque white for both catalogs, etc.).

Which company, if either, possibly both, possible neither, is the manufacturer of these float-compatible art glass products?

Bonus question: I am in Portland, OR. What are the nearest suppliers of this COE 82 powder (regardless of brand)? I used to purchase from C & R Loo in Richmond, but they're gone now.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Post by Brad Walker »

I'm pretty sure they're the same, made by OPTUL Spezialglas GmbH in Germany. As I recall, Armstrong imports their FloatFire from Germany. http://optul.de/en-arc-82.php

The only place I know that carries it in the US is Armstrong, but you could contact OPTUL via their website and ask if they have another US distributor/retailer.
Alexis Dinno

Re: Are Armstrong Glass' COE 82 and Optul COE 82 the same product?

Post by Alexis Dinno »

Brad Walker wrote:I'm pretty sure they're the same, made by OPTUL Spezialglas GmbH in Germany. As I recall, Armstrong imports their FloatFire from Germany. http://optul.de/en-arc-82.php

The only place I know that carries it in the US is Armstrong, but you could contact OPTUL via their website and ask if they have another US distributor/retailer.
Thank you, Brad!

Edit: I spoke with someone at Armstrong today, and you seem to have the truth of it.