what to do about new kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael Stevens

what to do about new kiln

Post by Michael Stevens »

First i must preface that I'm. in China and not easy to. get quality products. I've had to make my own molds, tools and most things from scratch. my kiln I had in USA was small but excellent. I. just ordered a kiln here 18 inches x 18 inches x 12 inch tall internal.

the interior is fiberglass insulation. no heat bricks. there is dust and debris everywhere, i cleaned the metal and oil debris from the insulation. but the floor isn't level when I. put kiln shelf in its uneven. I could try to fix it, the programmer and electrical wiring is attached to the lid. there is no plug so I have to install myself . there is a slight gap. when I put a light in the kiln and closed it, I could see a thin beam.

should I try to make this kiln work? or is it a death trap?

I'm. afraid some debris falls on my glass while heating she ruins it. if the fiberglass falls over time.

is fiberglass safe for kiln work. will I hurt my lungs? I. feel sore throat after opening my kiln first time. I think need face mask every time in open it
Attachments
mmexport1578014941445.jpg
this is what arrived.
this is what arrived.
this is what I ordered
this is what I ordered
Kevin Midgley

Re: what to do about new kiln

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Not Fiberglass but refractory blanket. Yes you may need a respirator because of the irritation that can occur from handling the material. Generally and take this advice at your own risk, the refractory materials themselves are safe and supposedly non cancerous. Time will tell.
Heating refractory material like this can because it is usually made of Alumina silicate (and we don't know in this case) which when heated can create within the material tiny crystals of crystobalite which is not good inside the body.

The bigger issue is how the kiln was made and I am not about to send my western developed knowledge off to China via this posting.
So it will probably work. In some ways better than the bricks that you desired as they are notoriously inefficient but not half as well as it could have been made. You in theory have a better kiln than one made of brick.
Fired once by you did clouds of stinky sticky smelling fumes come out during the firing?
I can't answer all your questions other than you have a kiln and learn from it.
Michael Stevens

thanks I'll wire it up tomorrow. and test it. just annoyed paying 1500. usd on something not ready to use. I'll have to pound the bottom to make it level
Michael Stevens

I'm. not sure if I should send it back. no programmable controller. the interior has rust on the welds and adds debris eveytime open and close, they used spray paint on.the interior to cover the rust.

I'm not sure how much effort I.need to do to fix it or just refund and Try to get another manufacturer. which might not be better
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I commiserate with you LOL. What is the metal doing inside the kiln conducting all the precious heat to the exterior?
Good luck.
Whoever made it didn't know what they were doing.
In case you can't get a refund, cutting the interior metal bars out of the lid and bottom may make it usable.
But you did learn didn't you? LOL
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with your not-new-kiln.
This should be a fun time, not discouraging.
I wish you luck.
And I hope you receive a NEW kiln.
Joyce
Dick

Post by Dick »

After having worked in China setting up a studio I can speak first hand at the difficulty. Almost impossible to buy unseen as they use western photos to show what you think you are ordering. There are good products and materials out there, but you have to go to them in person to be sure of what you are getting.
Michael Stevens

I. might be better off getting ceramic kiln side heated, but I've waited 3 months. ordered so many failed product from different manufacturing. the glass factories and other tool suppliers are good and have been supportive to belly they want people to. promote glass art here. even though I'm not a master
Michael Stevens

wish I had all of you here. I miss USA so badly when I try to do my ART or build anything.