How to mount...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

How to mount...

Post by smallbitz »

In my new 'Artist In Residence' project, I disobeyed the cardinal rule - I did not think about how I would mount this torso before I began making it. Still have quite a lot of work to do before it's finished, but don't want to continue until I can figure out mounting. Arg! I talked to Poppy @ Hang Your Glass and we decided it's too heavy at 7 lbs. with no flat place for an attachment, so wall mounting is out, I suppose. Sure could use some help on ANY type of mounting on this. Thanks! It is 7lbs. 24" high and 16" across at widest point.
Kevin Midgley

Re: How to mount...

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I cut with a series of drilled and jig saw cutting a curved slot/pocket in a slab of wood. In my situation a 2x10 piece of lumber was used. I had the board running front to back and the slot/pocket cut on an angle so the glass torso could lean back slightly and become self supporting. Best of all with this design of stand the glass is easily removable so you can entertain visitors to your studio by picking it up and 'wearing your art' while someone takes a crazy photo of you.
Yes you do lose sadly the bottom of the art piece which gets buried in the wood but the belly button is well above that area.
Do not do this with a thin glass torso as your piece has to be strong and made of thick glass to do this.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

That sounds like a great idea. I don't have a jigsaw, but I do have someone that could do it for me. I would like something a little more 'formal' if that makes sense. Not sure I have many options at this point in the game.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Photo of piece.
IMG_0302.jpeg
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

If you have Brad's Warmglass book, in it you will find an upper torso without much detail, by Brock Craig. When I bought out his studio I obtained that mold. I found it lacking in details and I increased the neck and sides and added the missing naughty bits to the glass I made with it. If you want an image, send a request with an email to send it to.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

How about grinding/polishing bottom edge absolutely flat then cast a clear rectangular base 1/2" or more in thickness then fasten with UV adhesive.. ?
"The Glassman"
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

I've thought about that, but at 2 feet tall I think it would need to be thicker than 1/2" and substantially large. I'm leaning toward hanging it. Still puzzling it out....
Marty

Post by Marty »

Take a look at BE's gallery shelf. Visualize turning it so the wall part is behind the work, not underneath it, with the lip up in front of the piece, like a capital L in profile with the upright at the wall. Have one fabricated locally (a real easy thing for a sheet metal shop to do) to fit your piece, with the wall part just smaller than the work (ie., hidden behind it) and paint it to match the wall so it disappears.
PM me if this strikes your fancy and you need more info.