strange result

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael Stevens

strange result

Post by Michael Stevens »

I put a piece in the kiln tonight it had small crack In the base glass. it was only 2sheets thick but after fusing the area melted area flowed and dropped over the shelf and down the kiln.

why didn't the glass crack just fusing back together?

I'm. thinking I can cut away the ruined edge grind down sides where glass melted fill the whole with more glass and refuse it.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: strange result

Post by Brad Walker »

How high did you fire? You'd have to fire pretty far above normal fusing temperatures to get the glass to flow off the kiln shelf.
Michael Stevens

Re: strange result

Post by Michael Stevens »

788 c same as always just seemed so strange to have a circle hole in one edge and it drip away like that. unless my sensor needs calibrating but kiln is new and has been fine.

also same time I fired a piece with mica powder had the coolest effect, it all turned sea blue green bubbles with someone black thin lines. I was going for a shiny gold but this was even better.

I wish I could add pictures but it's not allowing meme on phone I'll try to add to. computer later show it's really lovely.

one thing I. love is when mistakes or failures occur the solution often leads better result than original.

I hD a few pieces with devit and used etching cream to sand it, then looks beautiful after refire