Kitchen cabinet windows???

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carla Fox

Kitchen cabinet windows???

Post by Carla Fox »

We have taken the leap to actually sell our dinnerware and tiles. So wouldn't ya know it, the client "LOVED" our tiles and plates, "But...." could we make panels to fit into his kitchen cabinets.

Well, sure we can. Then I started thinking.......hummmm, who puts it in (him, but how?) can 2 layers (sandblasted in areas) of glass take the beating of the opening and shutting that a kitchen cabinet door takes? Do we ask him to sign a disclaimer saying, hey you slam that door and it breaks the glass, it's not our fault?

You all were so good at problem solving the triangular window, I'm hoping this is a piece of cake.

Carla
Dani

Post by Dani »

I think there's a thread on this in the archives... I can't remember if we came to any conclusions about doing it or if anyone since has given it a try. I remember thinking I should give it a try at the studio just to test the bang factor... but, didn't. One of those roundtuits, you know. I think you should be in charge of this experiment. :wink: :idea: :!:
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i think Annah makes glass panels for kitchen cabinets. you might ask her for some pointers. she sometimes posts here.

http://www.annahjames.com/
Last edited by Kitty on Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert Weiss

Re: Kitchen cabinet windows???

Post by Bert Weiss »

CM Fox wrote:We have taken the leap to actually sell our dinnerware and tiles. So wouldn't ya know it, the client "LOVED" our tiles and plates, "But...." could we make panels to fit into his kitchen cabinets.

Well, sure we can. Then I started thinking.......hummmm, who puts it in (him, but how?) can 2 layers (sandblasted in areas) of glass take the beating of the opening and shutting that a kitchen cabinet door takes? Do we ask him to sign a disclaimer saying, hey you slam that door and it breaks the glass, it's not our fault?

You all were so good at problem solving the triangular window, I'm hoping this is a piece of cake.

Carla
Carla

You have a few options. The disclaimer is one. You can laminate your kiln fired glass to another sheet of glass, making it safety glass. This can be done in an autoclave with PVB interlayer or with resin laminating. Both are tricky and you have to make your kiln fired glass as flat as you can. I believe that In Oregon there are places to do both techniques.

Cabinet doors are less problematic than big doors as they don't slam as hard.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I've made quite a few stained glass panels for kitchen cabinet doors, but I suppose leaded stained glass has a little more "give" than a fused panel. What you might do is use something like Cascade 5/8" or 9/16" lead (the heart of this lead is high enough to accomodate 1/4" thick glass) around the border of your panels. Cement this just like you'd do with stained glass and install it in a rabet in the cabinet doors with #4x1/2" screws. If you need a sample of the Cascade lead or can't find a supplier, let me know.
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Wow! You guys are good. Thanks!

I think I'm going to make a sample door and install glass in my studio. Then I can slam away and see how it goes.

What would we all do with out this board? It's such a help.

Carla