Ball of light?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa

Ball of light?

Post by Melissa »

I posted this on the jewellery forum as well - but just in case I can double my chances of advice, I am posting here as well! I have been asked to make a tile for placing on a garden wall depicting hands holding a 'ball of radiating light'. Because it is against a wall, the base of the glass has to be opaque. I am thinking dichroic can be of use...but which kind, and how? also perhaps a 'blob' of clear glass (smallish piece high fired until it makes a blob), with dichroic underneath it. Possibly gold or silver paint somewhere? Any and all suggestions gratefully received! Many thanks!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Ball of light?

Post by Brad Walker »

Probably a good looking "ball of light" is in the eye of the beholder. There's a lot of variation in what that could mean or look like.

Still, I like the idea of a rounded clear ball over yellow gold dichroic, just use a larger "bead" rather than a small one.

You could also consider etching some dichro off if you want "rays of light" in all directions from the center. Easy to etch dichro with etching cream.

For maximum impact you'd want a white or very light colored background.
Melissa

Re: Ball of light?

Post by Melissa »

Thanks so much for the suggestion - much appreciated! I am going to experiment with the etching cream and dichroic glass...I have never done it but watched some videos and got a message from Barry about how to do it - and am about to start experimenting. Many thanks again!