sgraffito again

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

raphy

sgraffito

Post by raphy »

For any of you who do sgraffito, do you use powdered frit or paint. If you use frit do you mix it with aloe to paint it on. I was taught years and years ago but have completely forgotten. Thank you for any help.
raphy

sgraffito again

Post by raphy »

P.S sorry, but I dont want to use just powdered frit on its own, I'll make too much of a mess doing it for the first time.!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: sgraffito

Post by Brad Walker »

raphy wrote:For any of you who do sgraffito, do you use powdered frit or paint. If you use frit do you mix it with aloe to paint it on. I was taught years and years ago but have completely forgotten. Thank you for any help.
You can use either powdered frit or enamel/paint. Generally, we use powder dry and paint with a binder. I guess you could use wet powder, but not sure that's any easier or less of a mess than dry powder.
raphy

Re: sgraffito again

Post by raphy »

Thank you, if you use the powder binded or not how many layers?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: sgraffito again

Post by Brad Walker »

raphy wrote:Thank you, if you use the powder binded or not how many layers?
The number of layers depends on the darkness of the powder, but in general we use about 4 grains thick.