Dymax User's?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Claudia Whitten

Dymax User's?

Post by Claudia Whitten »

I would like to use some Dymax glue, I went to their web site and there are so many to choose from. I tried to call and it is too late in the day. Anyone using Dymax glue, which one are you using. I saw some in the archives and they do not list them anymore. Anyone?
Thanks.............Claudia
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Hey Caludia:

What do you want to glue? Dymax makes a number of glues. I'm only familiar with the one made for metal to glass, which is what I use for jewelry findings.

Avery
Claudia Whitten

Hi Avery,
Well, I want to glue some pendants, I have had success with earrings, but the pendants aren't holding. I read to rough up the glass and findings. I would just love to have the time to learn how to silver solder and not glue. I did not want to start another thread on glues. The dymax that you used is not listed anymore. Maybe if I call, they do have a few muti cure ones. I just wanted to know if anyone has recently ordered, they have soooo much.. Maybe their 628 with 501-e activator? Moulton Avery said that he had used that, so I was hoping on feed back.
I sent the grant off and am signed up for June. I already need a vacation......Life is busy.......Claudia
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Hi Claudia:

Keep trying - I'm sure Dymax can help you. If not, call Dewey Assoc - 1-800-448-2306 in NY. This is where I purchase my glue. Don't forget, Dymax has a shelf life. About 1 year and then the activator doesn't work.

Good luck with the grant. I'll look forward to seeing you in June.

Avery
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Hi Claudia...
I've used Dymax 628 for 4 years now and have had no problems w/ metal to glass. If it is applied right, the metal will tear before the bond breaks. It will cure with uv light or an activator. I use the wipe on activator most often. It does have a shelf life...I buy it in a hypodermic container(30ml) and that lasts me for the year. The activator is purchased seperately.(501-A)
Dewey Associates are very helpful...there may be advances that I am not aware of...I was planning to ask the next time I ordered.
good luck...post your results
jim
Claudia Whitten

Jim,
Thank you for your reply. I called Pete Dewey this morning. I told him I had heard of 628 with 501-e activator. He then suggested that I use 621 with 535A activator, as I will not be using UV light. He was very nice and I will call again when I recieve it if I have any questions. I will post after I use it for a while. They have so many products it is too confusing to not call and ask for advice.............Claudia
Bethany

glue color

Post by Bethany »

Just curious, does this Dynamax glue with activator cure clear or does it yellow in time? I have been searching the archives to figure out which glue is the best for opaque glass to metal applications and I'll admit to being a bit confused by the many options. :?

I want a strong bond, not UV dependant (because of opacity) which cures to clear (for use with transparents at times). Do you feel the solution of 621 with 535A activator will do that?

Thanks very much.
dee

Re: glue color

Post by dee »

Bethany wrote:Just curious, does this Dynamax glue with activator cure clear or does it yellow in time? I have been searching the archives to figure out which glue is the best for opaque glass to metal applications and I'll admit to being a bit confused by the many options. :?

I want a strong bond, not UV dependant (because of opacity) which cures to clear (for use with transparents at times). Do you feel the solution of 621 with 535A activator will do that?

Thanks very much.
i have the 621 with 535a activator, i use it on both clear and opaque pieces, have not seen it yellow yet with the clear but ask pete dewey at dewey associates, he really knows this stuff....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Claudia Whitten

You can go to dymax web page http://www.dymax.com and read the data sheet on it. It says clear..............Claudia