Glass Craft Expo

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Glass Craft Expo

Post by quill »

I was not sure where to post this, didn't seem to really fit anywhere s& did & search & couldn't find any info.

Is anyone here going?

If so, I would love to know what you are looking forward to the most?

It seems like almost too much to me. I was actually relieved most of the classes were full before I started researching it. It narrowed down the choices to something I could wrap my mind around.
quill

Post by quill »

Hey, surely someone from this board is going?

Don't tell me I am the only one?

I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has gone before, too!
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

Hi Linda,

We've gone that past 3 years in a row and each year it grew. The nice thing is there are more and more manufacturers and distributors there so you can see first hand the products and compare (if you like to buy new stuff!) Another nice thing is there's a really nice mix of techniques.

Unfortunately, we won't be going this year (well, not to classes but haven't made up my mind about the trade show) as I had conflicting committments. Some highlights to check out: Spectrum's 96 booth (last year they allowed the public to come on in and make jewelry pieces- what a concept- do free bee stuff to bring folks in). Patty Gray was in that booth a lot unless she was pulled into other classes (like mine) to do demos.

PMC/Art Clay Silver lines were interesting to check out. And of course, Pacific Art Glass' booth with all their water jet cut designs in dichro. But be careful, they did not post the 96 and 90 lines so folks bought some 96 pieces thinking they were 90. I suppose it's the frenzy that happens there but something to think about when buying. There are lots of other suppliers from tools to stained glass, warmglass stuff to beaders and beading suppliers. I also had the chance to chat a bit with Sara Creekmore as she had a booth there too which is always nice to check out her latest offerings.

I've taken many classes from folks there and some I felt were good classes, some not so good classes. PM me if you want specifics. You'll have a blast I'm sure! Just the trade show is worth it to me as more and more manufacturers develop newer things. Have a great time!
keiko
quill

Post by quill »

Hi Keiko,

Thanks so much for the imput!

I won't ask you for class recommends because I am already signed up but I might just pick your brain about that next year if you don't mind.
I am really looking forward to it & am hoping to hear from more people who are going as well.

THe tips on venders is much appreciated. I hope I have enough time to see most of the show. I did sign up for a lot of classes.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I'm going this year. What classes are you taking....maybe we are in some of the same.

Jane
quill

Post by quill »

Hi Jane,

WE-14
WE-10
WE-E36
TH-04
FR-04
SA-15
SA-24
I guess, more to the point is 'what classes aren't I taking?'
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

Whatever field of glass you're interested in, there's lots to see and learn at the show. Along with my son Jason, I've been exhibiting and teaching there for the past 4 years. Each year the show has got bigger and better to where it's the primary glass show in America. At it's present rate of expansion, it'll soon overshadow even Glassteck in Germany.
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com
Jane

Post by Jane »

Quill, you aren't taking any of the ones I am.

WE 30
WE 31

TH 03
FR 06
SA 04

I'm looking forward to going.
quill

Post by quill »

Hi Jane,

We are taking STACK BLOCK LAYERED WORK but different days. Maybe we could compare notes after?

Dennis,
Took a look at your website. Lovely stuff!
Jane

Post by Jane »

Hi Quill,

I'm looking forward to that class so much! Yes, we should compare notes on it.

Jane
Queenbee

Glass Expo

Post by Queenbee »

Quill, I'll be there too. I'm not sure on the classes as most of them seemed very expensive to me. A couple of them were reasonable but the supply fee was too large for me. It looks like you have a big budget for classes. Since I can't afford the glasses, could I maybe hookup with you at the show and get some copies of literature made? I know that is cheap on my part, but I've got 4 kids under 16 at home and lucky to even go there. Maybe i'll people watch part of the time! Let me know.. Ginny Graham