Free Tutorials

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Goldfinger

Free Tutorials

Post by Goldfinger »

On the Internet - there are numerous free online tutorials on the subjects of Wire Wrapping - PMC - Silversmithing, ect. Is anyone aware of similar tutorials on the subject of Warm Glass? I know there is a general tutorial on the top of the board. I would like to know if there are any others.

Thanks

Steve
Cheryl

This one's as good as it gets!!

Post by Cheryl »

buy the book. it's worth it.
BobB

Post by BobB »

The tutorials here are all i've found with any detail and substance.
On books I go to the local library and check them out. That way I get a test drive before I buy.
I'd be interested in the silversmithing tutorials you mentioned. If you don't mind post them here or email them to me.

Thanks,
BobB
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

Before I started glass, I wrote reviews and tutorials for major graphic software companies. I couldn't stop the habit when I started glass so I collected areas as a novice where I had trouble and put them together. I use a longer version for my teaching along with Brad's book which is a must for anyone. I, unfortuantely didn't learn about it until after I had already started working. But I still constantly use it and refer to it. The link for my sort of tutorial is
http://www.glowinglass.com/tutorials/novice-fuser.htm

You will have to paste the URL into the address line of your browser. I didn't know how to do it automatically here.

I hope this will help someone.

Paula
BobB

Post by BobB »

I PM'd this to you but will post it for others who might not know about it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Look at Glass class 101.

Warning!! this is a website for those radical bead and jewerly people. :P
BobB
Dani

Post by Dani »

BobB wrote:The tutorials here are all i've found with any detail and substance.
On books I go to the local library and check them out. That way I get a test drive before I buy.
I'd be interested in the silversmithing tutorials you mentioned. If you don't mind post them here or email them to me.

Thanks,
BobB
Lapidary Journal posts a limited selection.... here's a sample:

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/jj/aug02.cfm

Also, the orchid board at ganoksin.com is a must for anyone doing jewelry and metalwork.... a wealth of good info there.
Kay McConnell

respirator from tutorial

Post by Kay McConnell »

Paulajane,
I looked at your tutorial, and you've done a great job! Thank you for sharing it here. Where did you get your respirator? Thanks in advance.
Kay
AZ gram

Paula's tutorial

Post by AZ gram »

Thanks Paula, I have read through twice and picked up some good info that I appreciate. Is the dishwash detergent that you use after grinding or sawing just a liquid dish soap or do you use a product for the dishwasher like Cascade?
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

Thanks Brad

The soap I use is the powder form of Cascade. I dissolve about 1/4 cup in a bowl of hot water. I try to remember to wear gloves when I use it but usually I can't be bothered and so I keep the manufactureres of hand cream in business. It is rough on ones hands.

Paula
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

Hi Kay -

Sorry , I saw Brad's comment and didn't look above it or I would have answered both together. We ordered the respirator from a chain called Graingers. But I know other people say they have gotten different sizes from the stores that deal with safety equipment.

Paula
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

Sorry AZ that I misread your name. I am breaking in new glasses and the words keep jumping. I now took them off.

Paula
Queenbee

Tulsa Fuser

Post by Queenbee »

Yea Paula. I'm from Tulsa and we've met in a class at Waterworks. I lost your card you gave me at Homestead. Are you going to the Glass Expo March 17th in Vegas? Let me know. My printer is out of ink so I caan't print your tutorial, but you're very nice to share it with us. Thanks, Ginny Graham at Queenbee Studio, email: Ginny@queenbee.info