Dragon Molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stephie

Dragon Molds

Post by Stephie »

Has anyone tried these?
I am going to C&R Loo tomorrow, they have them for 40% off. They are still expensive, are they worth it?
Thanks, Stephie
Stephie
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

OHMY ... 40 % off ?!

I have one, small, 6 inch square. I like it very much. I was a bit shy to spend big bucks on these myself, and I may buy another one, or two. They are VERY good, I really like the handle at the bottom, what a great idea. The little piece does sit quite flat...

But are they worth the money? That's a good question. I think at 40 % off, yes.
Deborah
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey guys: After your first post this morning, I checked out CRLoo and found the tile molds. I tried to order them, but they said that they don't make them anymore. Do you know of any other places that carry them?? Tile molds that is.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
dee

Re: Dragon Molds

Post by dee »

Stephie wrote:Has anyone tried these?
I am going to C&R Loo tomorrow, they have them for 40% off. They are still expensive, are they worth it?
Thanks, Stephie
DRAGONS?? are these molds that actually have a dragon shape for slumping over????
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Yes, inquiring minds want to know what are dragon molds?

I tried to find them on the C&R Loo website but only found the 40% off info. What is the original price?

CuriousGirl
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

Check out the C&R Loo catalog, the main catalog. Around page 207 or 204, some thing like that. It's listed on the table of contents.
Deborah
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

No, not Dragons :lol:
I guess Dragon is the Manufacturer.
Thanks for the laugh!
Stephie
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

They are made in China. Thus Dragon Molds.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Thx for the info, I found the dragons on page 207 of the catalogue.

Kathie,

Kathie,

RE: your tile mould question....You might be able to make some tile moulds with raku clay or some other low fire clay. I haven't made any myself yet but I do have some clay so when I try I will let you know how it goes.

Susan
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Susan: Yeh, I thought of that after. I am going this aft to a greenware place and ask if they would make them for me cuz they would turn out smoother. But I have taken a workshop on clay tiles and have all the tools for carving clay, so I may take a try at it too. The problem with that is that they don't seem to come out quite so smooth. But, yes please let me know how it goes. Thanks a bunch.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
charlie

Post by charlie »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Susan: Yeh, I thought of that after. I am going this aft to a greenware place and ask if they would make them for me cuz they would turn out smoother. But I have taken a workshop on clay tiles and have all the tools for carving clay, so I may take a try at it too. The problem with that is that they don't seem to come out quite so smooth. But, yes please let me know how it goes. Thanks a bunch.
you need a slab roller. if you don't have one, then you can make one with a long rolling pin and 2 wooden slats of equal thicknesses. this allows you to roll out a slab of equal thickness across it.

once it's dry, you can sand it with sandpaper (or drywall sandpaper, which works better) to make it very smooth. it can be sanded after bisquing, but it's harder to do then.
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Charlie,

I will try the homemade slab roller. Your posting is timely I was just thinking "hmmm I could really use a slab roller...".

Susan
charlie

Post by charlie »

Susan Moore wrote:Charlie,

I will try the homemade slab roller. Your posting is timely I was just thinking "hmmm I could really use a slab roller...".

Susan
that's what i use when i can't get to the ceramics place to use theirs. it's big, takes a lot off floor space, and expensive. i use a marble rolling pin, as it's easier to roll out clay if the rolling pin is heavy.
Jim Wixon

Dragon Molds

Post by Jim Wixon »

Dragon Molds originaly came from Dragon Glass in South Africa. They came over and gave a workshop at C&R Loo.(they work w/ float and powders because of the expense of BE and other compatibles in S Africa) Oliver probably has a license to manufacture the Dragon designs.
The molds seem to be well made...double wall,hand lift openings and most have a built in foot. I use them a lot and have had no problems w/ the molds.
The China manufacture is recent.
They are pricey but the footed design brings the work to a different level.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Valerie

Dragon Molds of Africa

Post by Valerie »

Valerie

Errr double ditto

Post by Valerie »

:shock:
I have no idea how that happened
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »