wet Belt sander question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anea

Post by Anea »

To Paul and Cynthia -

I purchased the 3 x41 (or whatever the exact measurement is) The knob which you are speaking of just doesn't seem to be enough. Even when I practically loosen the thing so the knob is about to fall off the belt is way too tight. I always end up whipping out the wrench and playing with the screw that has a coil over it to get it off and on. Then the hassle of realligning the belt so it doesn't slip or skate off or into the side of the machine. It just doesn't seem to be working like I expected.
Any more advice?
Anea
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Tony,

My sander does take a weird size for the glass world. I get my belts direct from Wilt in NY. SiC are around $9 each, Cork a little higher, and diamond much higher, $400-500 range.

6x48 is a common belt sander size for wood and metal sanders.

The Wilt 6x48 sells for $2700 new and I got mine for $400. That was enough to outweigh any odd sized belt hassle. Many of the better belt manufacturers will make custom belts.

Jack
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Anea,

One possibility is that you have the tension adjustment too tight, causing your belt-changing problem.

I'd suggest calling Covington (909-793-6636) or email them at sales@covingtion-engineering.com - they were very helpful in getting me up and running when I first bought the machine. They also sell parts, belts, etc.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I too have the Covington 4x41. It is just fine for what I am doing, but if I could afford a larger unit, I would do it. I don't have any of the trouble Anea is having. I did have to adjust the tension on the lower drum a bit, but once set, all I have to do is loosen or tighten the top drum with the plastic triangular handle attached to it and the belt runs on or off as I tighten or loosen. I loosen the top drum a great deal, put on a new belt as far as I can get it on and tighten it back up. I turn on the motor and as it spins, I tighten or loosen until it is centered.

I don't have water in my garage, so i hooked up a 5 gallon bucket that sits on a shelf above the sander. I used rubber gaskets and attached the copper tubing onto the base of the bucket, running it down to the sprayer on the sander. Gravity works just fine to keep the belt wet and since the water is clean, there isn't any grunge to plug things up. I wonder if you just need to make a few changes to make things less ooogy on yours Anea.

Hey Ron,

I fitted mine with a hose to the drain-hole in the catch basin at the bottom and filled the basin with liquid latex up to the level of the drain. This way the water drains out fully (didn't drain so well before), and it's easier to clean too. I plunk the hose into a bucket on the floor to catch the water. I also would (will...but haven't yet) adhere a rubber tire tube to the back platen. I don't like that it is so hard and want to add a bit of a cusion to it. Will probably do the same for the rest on the front just to provide a little cusion for the glass.

I would recommend this WBS to anyone interested...my only beef is that sometimes my work is pretty large and I could use a larger WBS to accomodate. Otherwise...no complaints whatsoever. I'd suggest making the investment in diamond belts though. The silicon carbide ones, although inexpensive, crap out pretty rapidly, and I'm not using this tool that frequently.
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

I've got a Covington too. For the money, it's a good sander. I'm not crazy about the water feed, though. It's difficult to keep the hose in the fitting where it attaches to the machine. Also the head that drips the water onto the belt has two holes, and with a gravity feed setup, it doesn't cover the belt evenly, so I have to watch for drying in certain spots on the belt.

Is anyone using a pressure system for the water feed?

Steph
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

I am. I can't see doing it any other way. Its totally simple. Hook it up in ten minutes with a few parts from home depot. To my mind it seems by far more complicated to do a gravitty feed. If you don't have water handy you can rig up the fittings to attach the line to your garden hose. Take out the petcock and jam in an outflow hose.

Is anyone using a pressure system for the water feed?

Steph[/uote]