specialty lead source

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

specialty lead source

Post by Liam »

I'm looking for lead with a tall heart to glaze 3/8" glass into a leaded panel. I'm also looking for lead to glaze 3/8" glass against 1 stained glass
thickness. I don't really want a case of it though, and I live in Houston
area. Anybody got a source for me?

Thanks
Liam

W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

DHD metals in Conyers, GA can make custom sizes, but I think you have to order a minimum of 50 lbs, and also pay for a custom die.
If you don't need that much, maybe you can fabricate it yourself. Cut 1 leaf off of a regular high-heart lead to make a T shape, and solder 2 pieces of it together. For the thick-against thin one, just cut away one half of the leaf of your regular lead, and cut another piece down into an L shape, then solder together. To make it easier to solder, get a thin strip of wood moulding to support the center and keep it flat while you solder.
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Liam:

Try calling Tommy G at Manhattan Stained Glass 646-613-1420. He may stock or know where you can get the lead you are seeking.

RobinE
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

You might consider beveling the edges. Thats what I do with Blenko glass that gets up to a little over 1/4" thick. What are you using 3/8" glass with lead for anyway? You lookin for trouble, mister?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I looked in to making a leaded glass window with either 3/8" or 1/4" tempered glass pieces. I concluded that it would not be possible. Maybe there are possibilities. One of my problems is that the opening size is 9' x 10'. I am looking at Decraled on large panels as a solution.

Liam your profile with one light on one side and 2 lights on the other is a sure candidate for killer sagout.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Liam

Post by Liam »

avlucky: Thanks. Nifty trick. It did quite nicely.

Don: actually, I'm trying to rebuild a stained glass frankenstein made of painted church glass which is double plated, and some other single thickness. The idea struck me though that this would be pretty cool lead to glaze up fused glass. Pretty darn heavy though.
What do you all think of this idea?

Bert: your absolutly right. I hadn't thought of that. Fortunatly the frankenstien panel has the double glazed glass on the bottom of the panel. I wonder if the customer installed it upside down.... ya, killer sag. Sounds like I could make some more money on it. Now that's looking for trouble.

Thanks all
Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Vic

Post by Vic »

To prevent the sagging in the 2 into 1 came. Simply plate a piece of clear glass into the "valley" over the single piece of glass.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Did you check samples of Janssen & Buscher, the lead recommended for Lamberts Glass? The regular stuff has a higher heart to accomodate the mouthblown glasses. Also, Cascade Metals out of Canada sells a high heart lead. I think many of the wholesale suppliers stock both of the above. We get J&B from Bendheim and Cascade from Artisans.