Machine rolled BE

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

Machine rolled BE

Post by Liam »

So who's making machine rolled BE compatable clear now. Spectrum stopped making it didn't they?

Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Bullseye is making their own - and way big sheets if you want, and also in 3mm, 4mm or 6mm. I think there is info on their site. If not, I just posted about it in one of the forums a few days ago. Hmmm . . . but which one?
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Having used the 90coe Spectrum (made for BE) and the Wissmach (also made for BE) and having recently sampled the new Tekta glass made in-house at the BE factory...I can say this product seems to be the best of the lot. Really clear, flat and fuses up excellently. .....Doug
Liam

Post by Liam »

It's interesting that they make both 3 and 4 mil. I wonder why. Spectum's was 3 mil if I remember right.

Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

I was using Uro clear with the BE. It fused with ugly misshappen bubbles. A BE friend thought it might be because it was so flat the air had no channel's to escape.

I'm back to using BE clear. It works.

Carla
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Doug Randall wrote:Having used the 90coe Spectrum (made for BE) and the Wissmach (also made for BE) and having recently sampled the new Tekta glass made in-house at the BE factory...I can say this product seems to be the best of the lot. Really clear, flat and fuses up excellently. .....Doug
But the pictures show a texture--is that misleading? I used the clear that Spectrum made for BE for a while and it was flat like window glass. Is Tekta that flat?
-Amy
dee

Post by dee »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:
Doug Randall wrote:Having used the 90coe Spectrum (made for BE) and the Wissmach (also made for BE) and having recently sampled the new Tekta glass made in-house at the BE factory...I can say this product seems to be the best of the lot. Really clear, flat and fuses up excellently. .....Doug
But the pictures show a texture--is that misleading? I used the clear that Spectrum made for BE for a while and it was flat like window glass. Is Tekta that flat?
-Amy
i also noticed that texture in the pics today when i checked out the link to tekta and have a few sheets of the machine rolled in the studio and yes, they are perfectly wonderfully flat....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

i also noticed that texture in the pics today when i checked out the link to tekta and have a few sheets of the machine rolled in the studio and yes, they are perfectly wonderfully flat....
D
What you have, Dee, is the new Tekta? Are you sure it's not some of the Bullseye machine rolled previously made by one of the other companys for Bullseye?
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

What I meant by being flat is that the Tekta is much flatter then the usual BE 1101-30 clear.
Amy on Salt Spring

Okay now that instead of just staring at the pictures I bothered to read the text :roll: What exactly does this mean "Tekta is shipped only in closed cases. Certain sizes are available  by the sheet for will call customers." ??
Amy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Okay now that instead of just staring at the pictures I bothered to read the text :roll: What exactly does this mean "Tekta is shipped only in closed cases. Certain sizes are available  by the sheet for will call customers." ??
Amy
Well, I think that's always the way it's been with any machine rolled clear purchased directly from Bullseye. It's only available by the case if you buy from them. If you buy your glass from a BE distributor, then the distributor buys the case and you buy single sheets from them. I'm guessing a "will call" customer phones in their order and picks it up - at least that's what it means with my other suppliers (CLR, Lincoln, Capital Metals, etc.) So, apparently, if you are a will call customer, there may be sheets available on occasion in certain sizes. In other words, they only ship full cases of it, like the previous machine rolled clears. I'm sure this is because it's not the same size as their normal glass. Naturally, the non machine rolled clear can be shipped mixed in with your regular orders of sheet because it's the same size.

Jackie
Amy on Salt Spring

Duh! Jackie thanks for talking to me in small syllables. I guess I was thrown by the "closed case" which I had never heard before but it makes sense that that just means nothing else in it. Kind of a pain that you have to buy it that way though. Hope there is a WG@BE 3 so I can have a reason to drive down there and be a "will call".
-A
Lori Love

Post by Lori Love »

I emailed Bullseye to ask whether Tekta was machine rolled and was told that it was NOT
lori
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lori Love wrote:I emailed Bullseye to ask whether Tekta was machine rolled and was told that it was NOT
Oh - sorry. But it is flatter and single sheets can't be shipped like the machine rolled, and four trimmed edges. Guess I just thought that because the email announcement I got said they built a new production line and expanded the factory for it. My mistake for not reading my notice more closely.
Lori Love

Post by Lori Love »

I was unclear, even after reading the announcement - so that's why I emailed.
lori
dee

Post by dee »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
D
What you have, Dee, is the new Tekta? Are you sure it's not some of the Bullseye machine rolled previously made by one of the other companys for Bullseye?
sorry jackie - didn't mean to confuse you - i have the older machine rolled perfectly wonderfully flat be, hadn't heard of the new tekta till i read this thread and that does look textured in the photos....
D
Dee Janssen
dee@ucjewelry.com
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

sorry jackie - didn't mean to confuse you -
Don't worry Dee, it's easy to do! 8-[
dee

Post by dee »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
sorry jackie - didn't mean to confuse you -
Don't worry Dee, it's easy to do! 8-[
lolol and some days i'm quite good at it ;P
D
Dee Janssen
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marc Demian

machine rolled BE

Post by Marc Demian »

I always use URO machine rolled clear. It is very flat, no bubbles, and almost as flawless as window glass. Marc