A temperature for slump and fuse into sink mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DIHLEE

A temperature for slump and fuse into sink mold

Post by DIHLEE »

hi all, I need to slump two layer of 1/2" Float glass into a sink mold (matel mold ) I have slumped sinks in the past using one layer 3/4" of Float glass @ Temperature of 1160 F.
Is 1160 F an adequate max temperature to fuse and slump two layer of
Float glass together properly into a sink ?
If not, can you recommed a temperature adequate for carrying out a
two-layer fuse and slump?

thanks?
Dartina, :oops:
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Dartina

If you can get the glass to move at 1160 that is great. I usually go quite a bit hotter. It really depends on what size mold, or what size drop. Heavy glass is more cooperative than thinner glass. My work is always textured first so I don't mind dealing with the effects of hotter glass. If you want smooth 1160 is probably pretty good. 1140 is the temp I have always heard yields no marks. I must admit that I have never made that work for me. For my 16" ss bowl molds I go to 1285. For a drop mold with a larger opening, I go to 1240. For both I soak until it is done.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
slats

fuse and slump help

Post by slats »

I have been fusing and slumping sinks for quite awhile now. There are numberous answers to your question but I need the following info in order to help you out.....
Your exact fusing schedule ............and your exact slumping schedule that you have used for 3/4" float. I can then relate that to the two layers. Also type of kiln.
DIHLEE

Post by DIHLEE »

Thanks Bert,
The size of the glass is 20" round 1/2"thick, two layer of float glass
to slump and fuse into ( the same time) a metal mold for sink.
My question is ? If I go to Temp. 1285 F the Thickness of the sink wall will
be even still ? or I have to fuse two layer together first and slump.
Thanks again.

Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

DIHLEE wrote:Thanks Bert,
The size of the glass is 20" round 1/2"thick, two layer of float glass
to slump and fuse into ( the same time) a metal mold for sink.
My question is ? If I go to Temp. 1285 F the Thickness of the sink wall will
be even still ? or I have to fuse two layer together first and slump.
Thanks again.

I can't imagine that you can fuse and slump anything in to a bowl mold in one firing. I would always fuse between 1420 and 1435. I have written schedules for fusing before. do a search.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Queenbee

sink molds

Post by Queenbee »

Where can I get a mold for a sink? Are most of them a standard size? And finally, can you use stainless bowls from Walmart? Thanks, Ginny
charlie

Re: sink molds

Post by charlie »

Queenbee wrote:Where can I get a mold for a sink? Are most of them a standard size? And finally, can you use stainless bowls from Walmart? Thanks, Ginny
i found a 22" wok in a restaurant supply place for less than $30. they had bigger and smaller ones.
Bert Weiss

Re: sink molds

Post by Bert Weiss »

Queenbee wrote:Where can I get a mold for a sink? Are most of them a standard size? And finally, can you use stainless bowls from Walmart? Thanks, Ginny
I haven't yet tried restaurant supply ss bowls. The 2 problems I would envision are that the walls are too steep so the glass will wrinkle as it slumps. THis could be very interesting, or not... The other is the shiny surface is probably a challenge to get kiln wash to stick to. sandblast if there is a problem. Remember to heat the bowl to 1200 then cool to 500 before you spray kiln wash on.

I wouldn't use a mild steel wok. Stainless steel is good though.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*