Need Recomendation on Adhesive

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kiwistudio2003

Need Recomendation on Adhesive

Post by kiwistudio2003 »

Found this board recently and have a major case of Happy Feet. Had gotten real involved in warm glass about 10 years ago - not to much info around and took a turn into ceramics for the last 8 years and now the ball bounces back -
Question: I am glueing a 12" fused float disc onto 3 nuggets onto a ceramic base 3" in diameter - am presently using E6000 but not real happy with "seeing" the clear glue - any suggestions on a UV glue. I've a long wave UV source for curing.
Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Bill
Kiwi Studio
It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone shorts., Kelly Allen
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone shorts., Kelly Allen
You mean it wasn't Norm from Cheers who said that?! :wink:

Have you tried GE Silicon II?
kiwistudio2003

Post by kiwistudio2003 »

My experience is GE Sil II and E6000 are about the same - I've not tried any of the UV adhesives and wondered if there were any that would stand up to "hand washing".
Thank for your help.
Bill
PS:
I think Norm "borrowed" the line
Val

Post by Val »

What I've found to be the best "glue" is "Marine Goop" I've used it to stick nuggets onto the base of dishes and also to stick the catches onto pins. It's not only handwash proof it will survive the washing machine and dryer.

I know as I've left the pins attached to sweaters a few times and they looked as good as new when they came out.

Val
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Get in touch with Tangent Industries, Winsted, Ct. Their owner/pres. can give you several suggestions. I have some glass fountains that have been outside with water on them for 3 years and are still doing fine, all put together with some of their adhesives. If you're nice, he might send you a sample to try. His name is Gary Grosclaude. The adhesives normally cost about $100/kilo, with a minimum purchase of 2 kilos. Tenn. Tom
elin

Post by elin »

I've used Loctite UV adhesives. I've also used a good resource website--www.gluguru.com. There are several options there too.
-elin