kiln Recommendations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

molly

kiln Recommendations

Post by molly »

Hi all! I am finally in the market for my very first NEW kiln. Here is what I am after.....since my small tabletop kiln (which I bought VERY used) has a pyrometer that "died" last night (AND The thermocouple just "fell off"!!!!), I feel that the kiln is not going to last too much longer, and it's time for a new tabletop sized kiln. I have a large Cress kiln that i ADORE, but I do not want to always fire 25+ pieces. Something that might hold 3-6 average sized pieces of jewelry (mostly cabochons) would be perfect. I would like it to have at least a pyromenter and an infinite switch. A digital controller is not necessary. Any ideas on brands and styles that are reasonably priced? Anybody have one they think is wonderful? If so, could you tell me a little about it? Thanks in advance. I need to get the most for my money. With my old kiln that is dying, I could fire a few pieces to full fuse in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, including ramping up and down. I like to do some fusing before and after work at my "regular" job, so speed is a factor. Thanks!
dee

Re: kiln Recommendations

Post by dee »

molly wrote:Hi all! I am finally in the market for my very first NEW kiln. Here is what I am after.....since my small tabletop kiln (which I bought VERY used) has a pyrometer that "died" last night (AND The thermocouple just "fell off"!!!!), I feel that the kiln is not going to last too much longer, and it's time for a new tabletop sized kiln. I have a large Cress kiln that i ADORE, but I do not want to always fire 25+ pieces. Something that might hold 3-6 average sized pieces of jewelry (mostly cabochons) would be perfect. I would like it to have at least a pyromenter and an infinite switch. A digital controller is not necessary. Any ideas on brands and styles that are reasonably priced? Anybody have one they think is wonderful? If so, could you tell me a little about it? Thanks in advance. I need to get the most for my money. With my old kiln that is dying, I could fire a few pieces to full fuse in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, including ramping up and down. I like to do some fusing before and after work at my "regular" job, so speed is a factor. Thanks!
jen ken makes a small 14" id kiln, runs on regular house current, check out center de verre's site, i believe they have them on their site and they sell jen ken kilns...

as for ramping up and down fast, with a digital controller, you wouldn't need to worry about that....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks Dee! I am on my way to look now. I appreciate the advice!