Submersible pump solutions?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rebecca M.

Submersible pump solutions?

Post by Rebecca M. »

I may be missing something very obvious, but how do those of you with tiles saws with submersible pumps deal with the water issue? Keeping running water going is a huge waste and it seems like every few minutes I have to empty the pan and find a sloshing place for glass grit water.

I only got it a few weeks before the winter started to crank up, and now that the weather is getting better, I want to get going on some things and would really like a good cheatin' trick for the water issue.
dee

Re: Submersible pump solutions?

Post by dee »

Becca wrote:I may be missing something very obvious, but how do those of you with tiles saws with submersible pumps deal with the water issue? Keeping running water going is a huge waste and it seems like every few minutes I have to empty the pan and find a sloshing place for glass grit water.

I only got it a few weeks before the winter started to crank up, and now that the weather is getting better, I want to get going on some things and would really like a good cheatin' trick for the water issue.
i have a plastic sheet behind the tile saw that is gathered into a bucket on the floor, have a pond submersible pump in the bucket with enuf plastic line that it goes out the front of the studio, so i turn the pump on when the pail starts to fill, also have a garden hose with the spray attachement on it to provide water when i want it, quite convenient...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

You should have a water tub below the saw and the pump sits in the tub.

Your water should be recirculated by the submersible pump (pump to blade to tub and back to the pump). My saw throws out a lot of water and I have to refill the tub every 15 minutes or so.

I run my tile saw in the back yard and let the water fly as it may (still using the tub and pump). The one time I used it in the basement, I setup a plastic tent around it. The tent was gathered into a bucket on the floor. The tent/bucket collected most of the water that didn't drain into the tub.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

you can have the overflow run from the pan into a bucket of water, have the pump in the bucket of water but not on the bottom and then you will have it recycled with the glass pieces going to the bottom of the bucket and pan.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Aha! I knew I was missing a simple solution. I had the pump in a bucket of water with a small flow, but never thought to raise the pump off the bottom of the bucket to recycle the water. :idea: Thanks!

I too do the tile saw thing in the backyard. The spray isn't too bad on mine, but it seems like it pumps alot of water and getting rid of it before the dogs started lapping up glass bits was getting frustrating. I'll do the raised pump and maybe play around with screening and cheesecloth, 5 gal. buckets and a whip for the dogs. (just kidding :wink: )